Interference F250 Install

houstonstroker

Question

Installed a Midland in my friends new F250.  Sitting in the driveway engine running or not no problems.  As soon as the selector is put in reverse or drive I get instant interference.  We had to turn the squelch way up in order to get rid of static.  I used the upfitter switch for power.  I'm guessing some sensor in the truck is interfering with the radio.  Do I need some sort of choke?  Or maybe power directly form the battery?  

6 answers to this question

Could be a few things. many newer vehicles use all sorts of sensors, including some that use RF. I would try an external battery and putting the vehicle in drive and see if you still get static. If you do, you have some form of RF interference, if not then the interference is electrical based. For electrical based interference a line filter (20-40 USD) will usually resolve the problem.

How is the radio grounded? I'm thinking there's some flex in the vehicle as it goes into gear, and you've got a weak ground connection. Sheet metal screws through the carpet doesn't seem to be the typical mount any longer. Plastic consoles and such, combined with a magnetic mount (or similar isolated non-roof mount) antenna can cause those types of problems.