Raptor Liner Roof & Ground Plane

Extreme

My Cherokee's roof is pitted with rust.  I want to clean it up before installing an NMO antenna for my mobile.  Will Raptor Liner (bedliner type stuff) affect the ground plane of the roof?  The NMO will be grounded to steel on the underside so thinking I might be ok but can do paint instead if it will cause a problem.

Thanks

My Cherokee's roof is pitted with rust. I want to clean it up before installing an NMO antenna for my mobile. Will Raptor Liner (bedliner type stuff) affect the ground plane of the roof? The NMO will be grounded to steel on the underside so thinking I might be ok but can do paint instead if it will cause a problem.

Thanks

Should not be a problem as long as the NMO makes good contact to the underside.

It will work fine, however you need to remove the raptor on the top under the mount also. Most NMO mounts are desighned for thin metal and adding a "thicker" surface may cause some issues with install. It really depends how thick you sprayed it. On my JK its pretty thin on the exterior parts and my antenna mount if fine.

You shouldn't have any problems at all. If you're REALLY worried about it - go ahead and put a thin little bit of dielectric grease on the teeth where it bites through the paint on the underside, and if you do that, you might as well put a teeny bit on the threads and contact point on the connection underneath and above where the antenna and cable screws in.

Even a mag mount where it couples to the ground plane via inductance (?), a bedliner coating shouldn't hurt it.

It will work fine, however you need to remove the raptor on the top under the mount also. Most NMO mounts are desighned for thin metal and adding a "thicker" surface may cause some issues with install. It really depends how thick you sprayed it. On my JK its pretty thin on the exterior parts and my antenna mount if fine.

Good contact is the only concern.  Thickness is not; lots of mounts out there: 

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_270_292&products_id=1153

But maybe should make it bald just the same for a flat surface.  I might have to back up the roof material underneath - that stuff is very thin.

I avoid mag mounts when at all possible.

Thanks

Should not be a problem as long as the NMO makes good contact to the underside.

[snip...] put a thin little bit of dielectric grease on the teeth where it bites through the paint on the underside, [snip]

Even a mag mount where it couples to the ground plane via inductance (?), a bedliner coating shouldn't hurt it.

Good contact is the only concern.

Sorry to have to ask this, but I'm still learning so I need to ask...

On a vehicle, if an NMO requires actual contract with the ground plane, then how do mag-mounts get away with inductance (not directly connected to ground-plane because of vehicle body panel primer, paint. clear-coat, wax) ??

Edited by Citizen

Bing search brought me right back here: 

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1182-nmo-versus-mag-mounts/

Sorry to have to ask this, but I'm still learning so I need to ask...

On a vehicle, if an NMO requires actual contract with the ground plane, then how do mag-mounts get away with inductance (not directly connected to ground-plane because of vehicle body panel primer, paint. clear-coat, wax) ??