Zello PTT App

unit997

http://zello.com/

Hello All, does any one here know about Zello PTT App for your Smarthone? This system will work worldwide similar to NEXTEL for free. Zello can work on your Data or WIFi as well. Please look into it and I think is very imports of us to be connected if we are away from our Radios. I have downloaded it and works amazing. The Zello@Work App will be used on your home PC and will act as your Dispatch Console and you can monitor your channel from there.

Please let me know on here if your guys want to try it with me.

Thank you,

John R.

I have created a channel called Radio Communication Network-(RCN), so if anyone enters i will see them. First you will need to sign up for a new account all for free and secured, then find the channel group. I think this is great for all public safety, Volunteers, Skywarn, Families and so on.

Thanks.

I tinkered with this last year. It's kind of neat, but doesn't seem "reliable" (of course it is free...so one cannot expect commercial grade), it seemed to drop out and disconnect whenever it wanted. Tried it on 2 PC's on different networks, and on my smartphone. Looks like everyone that joins makes their own channel, but not a great way to really figure out what is what.

I was interested in using it as a link for:

1. Pushing my scanner audio to it to create a private stream for mobile use on my phone.

or

2. Interfacing it with a UHF portable so I could use my smartphone to link to my PC/UHF and it would work my repeater.

Tried 1, wasn't consistent. Didn't get around to #2.  

Guest spd641

I have used Zello for several months and it has served me well.You can't ask for a bettter price...free.I would even donate a few dollars to them if it meant a better organized system...William

I have used Zello for several months and it has served me well.You can't ask for a bettter price...free.I would even donate a few dollars to them if it meant a better organized system...William

Awesome. I am glad that you like it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have created a channel called Radio Communication Network-(RCN), so if anyone enters i will see them. First you will need to sign up for a new account all for free and secured, then find the channel group. I think this is great for all public safety, Volunteers, Skywarn, Families and so on.

Thanks.

John, We have been in discussion on that, but the Part 95 Rules may have a problem with that and vaige. The problem is that when out of the area the

person connecting with that to a GMRS system will not be hearing a co-channel station when communicating and is causing anticipated harmful interference.  Remember by checking the frequency in CSQ, before keying up to see if it is Clear.

The problem is there are too many GMRS systems on the Air, in the NYC Metro Area.

FYI  Public safety agencies here, in NJ now have what is call Mutualink which is installed at PSAP, PSDC and Mobile

Command Posts, Hospitals, OEM & FBI. It now has a IPone App. now.  That is why SPEN Radio now is limited use. My agency is

now in the Planning and Budget stages of leaving the VHF Conventional System to the New NJ Public Safety Interoerabilty Comm

System and going with Secure.  Many agencies in the Essex and Bergen County area, are headed to this system.

person connecting with that to a GMRS system will not be hearing a co-channel station when communicating and is causing anticipated harmful interference.  Remember by checking the frequency in CSQ, before keying up to see if it is Clear.

The problem is there are too many GMRS systems on the Air, in the NYC Metro Area.

there are ways around that.

if connected to the repeater itself you could leave it in monitor since that would let you hear the input audio to the machine.

the same can be done w/control/base radio being left in monitor. this would IMO satisfy the monitor requirement.

personally I would use a control/base unit for this as it would be better to hear the low side as opposed to the hi, given the amount of junk the hi side hears at the site.