5/8 Ground Plane Mobile Antenna Recommenations

Extreme

Running Kenwood 25w mobile in my rigs.  I've run 1/4 wave antennas exclusively and they seem just fine.  Terrain is mountainous with constant elevation changes, repeaters are often not much higher (1000' or so) than where we wheel.  I'm thinking of spending a few bucks on a 5/8 antenna just to test and out of curiosity, for both repeater and simplex operation (90%), truck - truck.

There are lots of choices but I want one with an integral spring.  Overhead clearance can occasionally be an issue but the antenna is easy enough to remove when needed. Nearly all are 3db gain up to 3.5db and from $20 to $50+ and from 12 - 15". These will be installed on NMO mounts with roof ground plane.  

I've read what I could about 1/4 vs 5/8 and it can turn into quite a topic of contention; i just wanna try it on my own.

Recommendations, experience on 5/8?  I'm looking at Larsen and PCTEL mostly, at the Antenna Farm.  Have my Cart ready to go there, just waiting to add the 5/8. 

Of course, the one I'm leaning toward is on the high end of pricing.  Black antenna for black XJ.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6537

P.S.  Now I'm finding 1/2 wave 5db spring base antennas at 31".  Overthinking again.

Thanks.

I use Browning BR-178-S. Works well. I did not compare it with 1/4 wave, but I did compare it with Browning BR-170-S, which is 5/8+1/2. The 170 (longer) is marginally better in flat lands. Both 178 and 170 require ground plane, but I see you have XJ, so you're good.

The Laird Technologies BB4503R I'm looking at is 450 - 470 Mhz & 15", 3db gain, whereas the Browning is 380 - 520Mhz & 11", 2.4db gain.  Is the narrower band of the Laird going to have a 'finer tune' for GMRS?   I know 0.6db is negligible.

The Laird Technologies BB4503R I'm looking at is 450 - 470 Mhz & 15", 3db gain, whereas the Browning is 380 - 520Mhz & 11", 2.4db gain.  Is the narrower band of the Laird going to have a 'finer tune' for GMRS?   I know 0.6db is negligible.

Yes, I forgot to mention, the BR-178-S ("S" is for spring at the base, there is a version without the spring too) has a cut table, and you are supposed to cut the whip according to the frequency to fine tune the antenna. I cut according to the table and have SWR 1.7, which I find acceptable. Perfect is the enemy of good. So, in the end, the antenna will have much narrower useful bandwidth than 380-520.

Yeah, the Laird I'm eye-balling has a spring which is a must have on the Jeep. But since it's narrower BW might not have to tune.  I have an SWR meter coming tomorrow so I'll check it out when installed.

Yes, I forgot to mention, the BR-178-S ("S" is for spring at the base, there is a version without the spring too) has a cut table, and you are supposed to cut the whip according to the frequency to fine tune the antenna. I cut according to the table and have SWR 1.7, which I find acceptable. Perfect is the enemy of good. So, in the end, the antenna will have much narrower useful bandwidth than 380-520.