Radioddity GM-30 GMRS Programming Software Issue

randallbonin

Question

Has anyone had any luck in using the Radioddity GM-30 GMRS programming software?

My download appears to be working, but there are no freqs/channels in the software after what appears to be a successful download.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Randall Bonin

Amateur: N5UNG

GMRS: WQYW855

Nederland, Texas

USA

4 answers to this question

I purchased 2 of these for my son.  I immediately flashed the new firmware, then I read the data from the radio.  When the read was complete, a window popped up, which did not show the channels/frequencies.  If you look around, there is a place in the upper left part of the screen that lets you select the channels window.  I don't have the application in front of me, but it is there if you look around a bit.

I have been successful using the GM-30 software running on Wine on my Linux computer. My cable is connected to COM port 33, and the software only allowed me to select up to COM port 20, so I had to manually edit the setup.txt file to get it to work. Once I did that, I was able to read from and write to the radio.

Before writing anything to the radio, I always read from the radio first. I did that and saved the resulting file as GM-30 Original or something along those lines. I then re-wrote the file back to the radio to confirm that it worked correctly both ways. For me it did.

After that I followed the instructions for the Firmware Update (V1.05 at that time). That worked for me as well, and I then reset the radio as the instructions suggested.

I made a few minor edits to the GM-30 file, so I saved it with a new name that included the date, and I wrote it back to the radio successfully.

A short time ago, I downloaded, installed, and used the updated GM-30 Software (V2.06) to update the firmware and programming of my three GM-30 radios.

The new firmware allows you to save additional repeater channels with modified PL tones, so you no longer have to configure it from the front panel if using multiple repeaters on the same frequencies.

This makes the radio much more user friendly in my opinion, especially for those that use repeaters extensively.

I used the software to program 8 repeater channels with no PL tone, and 8 repeater channels with a PL tone, in addition to the other 22 channels.

With the update, you are no longer limited to only 30 channels on which you can transmit.

The link to the software was provided by Radioddity on the radio's Amazon page (It can be found in the Q&A section):

https://smile.amazon.com/Radioddity-GM-30-Handheld-Repeater-Rechargeable/dp/B08SLR7W7F

I have (2) of the GM-30 radios & I can't use the software because my Anti-Virus Software blocks it.I sent a message to tech Support a little while ago so I guess they will get back with me after the weekend? The only way around it that I am aware of is to turn Off my Anti-Virus but I will wait to see what Tech Support says.

WRMX520

35 minutes ago, WRMX520 said:

I have (2) of the GM-30 radios & I can't use the software because my Anti-Virus Software blocks it.I sent a message to tech Support a little while ago so I guess they will get back with me after the weekend? The only way around it that I am aware of is to turn Off my Anti-Virus but I will wait to see what Tech Support says.

WRMX520

It's my understanding that Anti-Virus software often blocks the installation of applications that are not from well recognized publishers. I've heard (possibly even on this forum) that people have had their AV software reject even the programs they wrote for themselves. While that may or may not be what's happening in your case, I wanted to mention it since others have shared similar experiences.