Lightening arrester vs grounding block

OffRoaderX

Question

Can someone confirm that a properly bonded lighting arrester will also act as an RF/static ground for the coax?  I'm thinking yes, but want to be sure..

And yes, I know that the mast must also be grounded/bonded, etc etc.. Just want to confirm that a good lighting arrester is the only other thing I need.

TIA

1 answer to this question

Can someone confirm that a properly bonded lighting arrester will also act as an RF/static ground for the coax? I'm thinking yes, but want to be sure..

And yes, I know that the mast must also be grounded/bonded, etc etc.. Just want to confirm that a good lighting arrester is the only other thing I need.

TIA

Yes, it will. That is one of the major real-world functions that the lighting arrester serves. Contrary to its name, a lighting arrester does not protect you from damage from a direct lighting hit, but instead it shunts surges from nearby lighting and bleeds off static that occurs naturally during storms as well as other periods of high winds.

BTW, welcome to myGMRS.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Edit: Here is a link to a document that explains how they work.

https://www.polyphaser.com/News/DownloadFile?downloadGuid=52f23510-c294-40d8-889b-b63f1c6fdcb5