HF Antenna

taco6513

I had a Siro Antenna I was using to 11 and 10 meter. The wind broke the antenna off at the base. I am thinking of a multi-band HF antenna

to replace it with. Planning on upgrading my license in the future and upgrading my radio also.

I have been told I will need a manual antenna tuner. Could I get some recommendations on tuners and HF antennas?

I have a 40ft tower I could mount on or the top my my commercial metal building. Maybe use building as ground plan. Building is 148X25.

Thanks

KI5GXD

Any vertical should work. To get resonant bands with a tower you could run a fan dipole, or any number of wire antennas.

Only time you would need a tuner is if your system is not impedence matched.

Even then I would recommend an auto tuner.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The multiband verticals supposedly work well (Hustler & Cushcraft), but you need to have a minimum of 32 ground radials. If you mount it on the roof of your metal building, it might make a good substitute for the ground radials, but they are 25-32 feet tall, and would need guy wires, and tuned for each band as you assemble/install the antenna. Also, verticals tend to have a higher noise floor.

Dipoles (fan or single band) or EndFedHalfWave would be a more efficient choice. A 80m thru 10m is 134 feet in length, and a 40m thru 10 is about 64 feet in length. They can be installed parallel to the ground at 30', or as slopers and inverted "V".

The multiband verticals supposedly work well (Hustler & Cushcraft), but you need to have a minimum of 32 ground radials. If you mount it on the roof of your metal building, it might make a good substitute for the ground radials, but they are 25-32 feet tall, and would need guy wires, and tuned for each band as you assemble/install the antenna. Also, verticals tend to have a higher noise floor.
Dipoles (fan or single band) or EndFedHalfWave would be a more efficient choice. A 80m thru 10m is 134 feet in length, and a 40m thru 10 is about 64 feet in length. They can be installed parallel to the ground at 30', or as slopers and inverted "V".
That is exactly why I was thinking vertical with a inverted v mounted to the tower. Can switch between antennas.

Or better yet forget the vertical and go multi element yagi rotator and an inverted v.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk