8 replies to this topic

#1 WQUJ877

WQUJ877

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQUJ877

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

I want to set up a new repeater in my area and there is another repeater not far and may even cover my home. I have tried to request permission to use it without answer. I am continuing to attempt to reach the operator.

My question is can I use the same frequency to expand its coverage or do I have to use a different frequency altogether.

Thanks

Matt

#2 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Locationthe Empire State

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

I would take the time to set it up on a different freq. as that would serve you area better to have 2 different machines to go to.

2 machines on the same freq in close proximity to each other can make it difficult in the overlap area.

Powered by Kenwood, Motorola, EF Johnson,Cresend  Milcom and Henry

#3 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Two repeaters in close proximity to each other using the same input and output frequencies and access codes will make both system just about useless if a mobile is close to half way between both systems. In basic terms, FM processing in a receiver does not want to have two exact signals coming in at the same time. This produces some really significant howling noises in the mobile and really distorted audio.  Some state police agencies use that type of single frequency multi tower system regionally - but NOT as a repeater for mobile to mobile communications.

If you wish to set up a new system, pick another frequency pair and to keep most unauthorized persons off, use diffrent input and output access codes or mix DPL and CTCSS input and output codes for even more privacy.

(Looks like John and I were posting at the same time... like minds and all that...LOL...)

#4 WQUJ877

WQUJ877

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

Thank you PastorGary and JohnE. As a newbie, it is great to have this forum. Any recommendations on antenna and duplexer?

#5 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

That depends upon your budget, height of the antenna, feedline type, repeater output power (up to 50 watts max) and gain factor of the antenna with respect to your coverage area expectations. Give this some thought and then give us a little more info as to projected location, height, etc... and several of the members here, who can do RF analytics, can make recommendations on equipment.

#6 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLong Island
  • GMRS Callsign:Ask Me
  • Ham Callsign:Ask Me

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

Just curios as the area and the repeater you are trying to access?

#7 WQUJ877

WQUJ877

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

Parma, Ohio. Just outside of Cleveland.

Should I post antenna questions in another category?

#8 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

No, please ask all your questions in this thread so it's all in one place for you.  :)

#9 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:On-File

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

There are a couple other new ones up in that region too, glad to see the interest and growth. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frequency, repeater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users