Are There Roadway Intersections Where You Radio Goes Deaf

mbrun

A topic that I have heard brought up on amateur radio is the phenomenon that while sitting at or passing through and intersection you loose the ability to receive usable signals from some repeaters. This is theorized to be the desensing of our radios from the various traffic control, cameras, sensors and other electronics now permanently residing at many intersection and that are producing RFI.

While I do not know that I have experienced this, I was curious if any of you have. If so, let’s hear about it.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

haven't noticed it on GMRS, as the level of activity here is pretty low.  I did notice it on 70cm last night, though...had a good signal, came up to intersection in the right lane and it was like a light switched off...gone. i chalked it up to  a physical obstruction, since it was so sudden, and when i jumped over to another repeater (different site, part of a linked network, and there's a uhf and a vhf/uhf site in range), the signal was fine.