KG-1000G power settings on channels 1-7

DonErle

Question

On page 42 of the manual it clearly states that the power hot key (#5) "will not be available when tuned to GMRS frequencies legally limited to 5 watts". But when you cycle through using key #5, the LCD screen changes between L, M, and H. So I used a Surecom SW102 meter to see what the actual power difference is between these setting while transmitting through an antenna. It was a bit over 6 watts, no matter if the setting was L, M or H. Granted, I didn't use a dummy load but figured there should be a difference even through an actual antenna. The manual would be more accurate if it just stated that the power levels on the LCD screen do in fact change between L, M and H, but the actual output remains limited to 5 watts. Has anyone else experienced this?

5 answers to this question

On page 42 of the manual it clearly states that the power hot key (#5) "will not be available when tuned to GMRS frequencies legally limited to 5 watts". But when you cycle through using key #5, the LCD screen changes between L, M, and H. So I used a Surecom SW102 meter to see what the actual power difference is between these setting while transmitting through an antenna. It was a bit over 6 watts, no matter if the setting was L, M or H. Granted, I didn't use a dummy load but figured there should be a difference even through an actual antenna. The manual would be more accurate if it just stated that the power levels on the LCD screen do in fact change between L, M and H, but the actual output remains limited to 5 watts. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes I am familiar with your scenario. Wouxun took an effective cost savings short cut to adapting their amateur radio for GMRS use. Rather than changing the firmware that regulates the user interface, they implemented logic in the firmware to prevent the radio from doing what it is not allowed to do per FCC. This is true for all but one of their radios I have tested.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

i noticed it changed when u cycle the power but it was limited to low on the meter i think mine was right at 5w, can u check channel 12 on yours and see if u can transmit on it, i can transmit on it and use high power, however the other 8-14 i cant transmit....

I checked tonight with a 100w dummy load instead of the antenna. On channels 1-7 the output was at 4.63w whether the setting was at L, M or H. On 15-22 with MPOW1 at 20w got these readings

Power set to L: 4.63w

Power set to M: 20.1w

Power set to H: 48.6w

On 8-14 the unit beeped when trying to transmit - just as the design is set. RX only on these 0.5w channels

How's the saying go? Close enough for government work..