Frequency/CTCSS Monitor/Logging Software

lee.lockwood

Question

I am wanting to put up another repeater in my area.  However, before I randomly pick the frequency for it, I want to monitor the available GMRS repeater pairs for the "cleanest" available.  I know that not all repeaters are listed on the mygrms website, so I can't just go by the locations of them listed here.  Does anyone know of any software that can be connected to a radio discriminator or SDR device that will monitor and log PL/DPL tones received, as well as number of times traffic is received, and log it?

Back in the late 90's early 2000's, there was a DOS program that we would run at a two-way radio shop I worked for that did this.  But, I have no idea what it was called or where to find it.

6 answers to this question

Would hooking up a computer with some audio spectrum analyzer software work? You could set it to 'peak hold'; and I'd suspect you'd see a bunch of audio peaks held in the sub-audible range of the passband where the PL's rolled in.

Probably wouldn't work on DPL I suppose, but CTCSS should be fine.

I guess I should clarify... my intent is to setup the software/receiver and let it run for about a week on each of the repeater input frequencies, all while logging data.  I want to compare number of times RX traffic is heard as well as the CTCSS/DPL associated with it.  

I wish I could find the software I used 20+ years ago that did this exact thing.  There has to be something like this that has evolved even better since then.