Cut outs in HDPE sheet

oldtech

Not strictly GMRS related, but I'm hoping for a good answer. I have an enclosure of High Density Polyethylene, in which I want to mount two panel meters and two PowerPole chassis mounts, all rectangular in shape, designed to snap in. I've been musing about what would be the best method of cutting the plastic, and decided to see if anyone had experience with such tasks. 

Water jet to cut precise lines. You could mock one up in Autocad and 3d print it?

Realistically, probably going to be a hole saw with a jig saw. Slowly so it doesn't melt. The fumes are not so good to you.

Maybe mount the things to acrylic and place it in the enclosure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

When I cut vinyl siding years ago for a building of mine, I used a fine tooth steel saw blade made for plywood and installed the blade backwards in both a table saw and chop saw. This configuration melts through material rather than cut it. Also used the technique when I had to cut a piece of old plexiglass down for a hobby project. Just had to run a deburring tool immediately after the cut to clean it up.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I wound up using a Dremel cutoff blade for the panel meters. Actually, 2 blades cause the first one choked up! I intentionally cut it 'small', then filed and sanded it to size. It took WAY longer than what I expected, but didn't turn out that bad, though I am now looking into purchasing an economical laser cutter! :)

For the PowerPole connectors, I think I may have another idea.