Looking for Motorcycle Headset Recommendations for GMRS

mbrun

I am looking for first-hand experience recommendations for a headset, with PTT switch, that works well inside a full-face motorcycle helmet. Unit needs to have Kenwood style plug. I see a lot of these on the market and would like to know which one(s) folks have found to perform well and are reliable.

Thoughts?

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Not exactly an answer to your question, but rather personal experience. I have Sena SMH10 that I use with the phone and as intercom with pillion and other riders in the group. It's bluetooth, not wired. Mounted inside the helmet under the earpads. I moved it between several helmets, starting with Suomi Gunwind (rather noisy helmet) to my current Bell RS1 (rather quiet helmet). Sound is very weak, the setup is barely usable at speeds above 65mph. At 80mph and up - forget it. I installed bigger speakers, also from Sena, it helped somewhat. I attempted to use a self-made bluetooth contraption to connect to the radio (FT-1XD), and this was not usable at all. With a lot of static and bad voice quality on Ham FM, I cannot discern the speech at 30mph and up. I decided that I closed this page and do not want to use radio when riding.

Cruising on a boulevards, or riding backroads - (big) maybe. Freeway commuting (where I spend most of my saddle time) - no. I see how it can be useful on dirtbike, though.

The only radio specific helmet headset I know of off the top of my head is Midland, though I don't believe their plugs/wiring fit the Kenwood standard. The snowmobile or off-road arenas may have something though.

Outside of radio, we have used the cardo intercom sets (g4, q3) a fair amount, with reasonable short range comms and decent sound..not concert quality but fine for voice. The noise cancelling Is good enough for a call while underway with the person on the other end unable to tell I was on the bike (even with aftermarket pipes). Freeway speeds are generally doable with reasonably clear copy. That said, I don't know a way to have it get along with a radio; Our cardo do have a 3.5mm input for mp3 player use, but that doesn't sort the mic & ptt issue.

The only radio specific helmet headset I know of off the top of my head is Midland, though I don't believe their plugs/wiring fit the Kenwood standard. The snowmobile or off-road arenas may have something though.
Outside of radio, we have used the cardo intercom sets (g4, q3) a fair amount, with reasonable short range comms and decent sound..not concert quality but fine for voice. The noise cancelling Is good enough for a call while underway with the person on the other end unable to tell I was on the bike (even with aftermarket pipes). Freeway speeds are generally doable with reasonably clear copy. That said, I don't know a way to have it get along with a radio; Our cardo do have a 3.5mm input for mp3 player use, but that doesn't sort the mic & ptt issue.

I saw the midland unit, and may try it with one of my bubble pack radios to see how it works. But since that is not my goal I was inclined to hold off on trying it until I heard about others experiences. Thanks for the cardo info.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

5 minutes ago, mbrun said:

I saw the midland unit, and may try it with one of my bubble pack radios to see how it works. But since that is not my goal I was inclined to hold off on trying it until I heard about others experiences. Thanks for the cardo info.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

The bit I found intriguing is that the mxt275 mic appears to have an input for their headsets, but getting the better half on board with the intercoms was a stretch in itself.