*Noob* program settings 905G

Mtnman

Question

7 answers to this question

Welcome to myGMRS.

The 905G does have the ability to display frequency in large characters instead of channel numbers and Names. Menu function 34, titled ‘CH-MDF’ is where that change is made.

If the radio has not been custom programmed and you need to, you should be able to reset it to the factory defaults. Press Menu, then scroll through the menu options until you find ‘Reset’. If the radio has been custom programmed, that option may or may not be available to you. It is is not there, you will need the manufacturer software to do so.

The factory defaults IMO should be the base settings you start with. Thereafter, it is up to you to decide you need in your area.

Hope that helps.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

2 hours ago, mbrun said:

Welcome to myGMRS.

The 905G does have the ability to display frequency in large characters instead of channel numbers and Names. Menu function 34, titled ‘CH-MDF’ is where that change is made.

If the radio has not been custom programmed and you need to, you should be able to reset it to the factory defaults. Press Menu, then scroll through the menu options until you find ‘Reset’. If the radio has been custom programmed, that option may or may not be available to you. It is is not there, you will need the manufacturer software to do so.

The factory defaults IMO should be the base settings you start with. Thereafter, it is up to you to decide you need in your area.

Hope that helps.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I appreciate your help a lot. How would I go about finding what the best settings in my area are? I’ve had my radio on scan while traveling from Charlotte to Raleigh to Wilmington and heard very little chatter, I was surprised at how little chatter there was. Is it possible this is because I’m not programmed correctly?

I appreciate your help a lot. How would I go about finding what the best settings in my area are? I’ve had my radio on scan while traveling from Charlotte to Raleigh to Wilmington and heard very little chatter, I was surprised at how little chatter there was. Is it possible this is because I’m not programmed correctly?

No, not likely, especially if you are using the default settings. In many places there is very little activity so it is radio silence. GMRS is not CB with endless noise and chatter.

The first thing to do is what you are doing. Just scan all the channels (but make sure you have no CTCSS or DCS codes set up in your radio since these work as filters to limit what you hear). When you have no codes set and if there is any activity near you you should her it. Once you hear traffic and you want to communicate back, then the CTCSS and DCS codes may come into play.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I drive to Charlotte a lot from VA and rarely do I hear chatter on the 8 Standard GMRS channels. As said if your CSQ you may have a chance to hear something. Every once in a while the other "LP" channels in the midland will pick up a driver following another or something. Normally have a half mile then its gone again. 

There was a repeater in Greensboro and Wilmington although I've never heard either. 

9 hours ago, mbrun said:

No, not likely, especially if you are using the default settings. In many places there is very little activity so it is radio silence. GMRS is not CB with endless noise and chatter.

The first thing to do is what you are doing. Just scan all the channels (but make sure you have no CTCSS or DCS codes set up in your radio since these work as filters to limit what you hear). When you have no codes set and if there is any activity near you you should her it. Once you hear traffic and you want to communicate back, then the CTCSS and DCS codes may come into play.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I figured it had something to do with CTCSS and DCS, gonna try to figure out how to turn those off if they’re not already. Good intel.

8 hours ago, kb2ztx said:

I drive to Charlotte a lot from VA and rarely do I hear chatter on the 8 Standard GMRS channels. As said if your CSQ you may have a chance to hear something. Every once in a while the other "LP" channels in the midland will pick up a driver following another or something. Normally have a half mile then its gone again. 

There was a repeater in Greensboro and Wilmington although I've never heard either. 

I was actually in Greensboro last week and did hear that repeater until I was about 20 miles north of Asheboro. My current project is in Hampstead which is 16 miles north of Wilmington and I’ve yet to hear anything but construction crews on the FRS channels out that way.

I live in the area and can attest that there are several good repeaters in and around Greensboro.  Check this website for particulars, Greensboro 675, and DBR575 are fairly active, including a weekly net every Tuesday night at 8.  Just key the mike and give your sign every few minutes on your way through...

WRKF745