GMRS node audio setup

MR-EDACS

Question

Hello

i am working on setting up my node and been trying to figure out how to do the audio settings and tones. Using the URIxB interface to a Motorola Quantar repeater which I have the repeater logic figure out but need to sett the audio levels. I can SSH into the Pi but don’t know how to get into the settings. I went to the Allstar Wiki to look for some sort of guide but it looks like it’s for something different.

thanks

john wrjg234

5 answers to this question

Assuming you're using the SimpleUSB audio interface, you can run "simpleusb-tune-menu" from the SSH command line. You'll get a menu where you can tune the RX and TX levels. The proper way to tune the RX audio is to have a service monitor inject a 1 kHz tone at 3 kHz deviation (for narrowband) or 5 kHz deviation (for wideband) and use the "rxdisplay" feature to get the audio level to be right around the 3 kHz or 5 kHz marks on the audio meter. With practice, you can tune by ear and get very, very close. A common thing to watch out for is the pre-emphasis setting. If you audio sounds too tinny or too bassy, the pre-emphasis settings on the node, repeater, or both are set wrong.

If you're using the myGMRS image, don't run the "asl-menu" tool or you can mess up your node, since that is meant for hooking up to the Ham AllStarLink network.

12 hours ago, rdunajewski said:

Assuming you're using the SimpleUSB audio interface, you can run "simpleusb-tune-menu" from the SSH command line. You'll get a menu where you can tune the RX and TX levels. The proper way to tune the RX audio is to have a service monitor inject a 1 kHz tone at 3 kHz deviation (for narrowband) or 5 kHz deviation (for wideband) and use the "rxdisplay" feature to get the audio level to be right around the 3 kHz or 5 kHz marks on the audio meter. With practice, you can tune by ear and get very, very close. A common thing to watch out for is the pre-emphasis setting. If you audio sounds too tinny or too bassy, the pre-emphasis settings on the node, repeater, or both are set wrong.

If you're using the myGMRS image, don't run the "asl-menu" tool or you can mess up your node, since that is meant for hooking up to the Ham AllStarLink network.

Okay thank you I was able to adjust the audio levels and adjust using the service monitor connected to the repeater.

Is there any adjustments for changing the courtesy tones and or the ID on it as I am using a controller with a link port on it. I ordered this node a couple weeks ago just finally getting around to setting it up. I like the way the network map is setup to see what’s going on.

thanks

John

13 hours ago, MR-EDACS said:

Is there any adjustments for changing the courtesy tones and or the ID on it as I am using a controller with a link port on it.

There's a file called rpt.conf under the directory /etc/asterisk which has lots of settings for tweaking the courtesy beeps, morse/voice ID, hang timer, and scheduling. It can act as a full-featured repeater controller if you wish. You just need to reload the configuration with "rpt reload" from the Asterisk CLI (by running "sudo asterisk -r") or just restarting the Asterisk service with "sudo service asterisk restart".

I tried those commands like Audi rot.conf and it tells me command not found. I did a LS command to list everything in the asterisk directory and it shows it there.

I am pretty new to Linux so is there a cheat sheet on setting this up. Seems this unit is default as repeater right now .

thanks

john