BTech GMRS-V1 Repeater Channel Question

BBQBuff1967

I flat out do not understand the Repeater Channels from 23 to 30.  Can I use those channels as I do Channels 1-22?  I haven’t found any person at all to talk to here in Memphis. So I tricked a friend of mine into buying one and am going to gift another in October.  Furthermore, I don’t think there are even any operative repeaters in the Memphis/Arlington TN areas where I dwell.  Not really sure what my question is, but wanted to post and try and learn a thing or two new.  Thanks so much, Gordon

WRNU901

4 minutes ago, BBQBuff1967 said:

I flat out do not understand the Repeater Channels from 23 to 30.  Can I use those channels as I do Channels 1-22?  I haven’t found any person at all to talk to here in Memphis. So I tricked a friend of mine into buying one and am going to gift another in October.  Furthermore, I don’t think there are even any operative repeaters in the Memphis/Arlington TN areas where I dwell.  Not really sure what my question is, but wanted to post and try and learn a thing or two new.  Thanks so much, Gordon

WRNU901

Not quite. Channels 1-22 are referred to as simplex; you transmit and receive on the same frequency (462.725 is ch 22). 23-30 are duplex channels, where the transmit frequency is different than the receive; this is to work with repeaters, which have to retransmit on a different frequency they receive so they can retransmit in realtime.

On the duplex channels (23-30), you radio transmits 5 mhz higher than it receives; the receive frequencies are the same as the simplex 15-22. Rept22 is 462.725 receive, but 467.725 transmit, and a repeater on that channel would be listening on 467.725, and retransmit the audio on 462.725 (where you're receiving).

Because of how the radios are set up (and locked down), trying to talk direct radio to radio on the repeater channels isn't going to work;it's designed for bouncing the signal via repeater.

8 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Not quite. Channels 1-22 are referred to as simplex; you transmit and receive on the same frequency (462.725 is ch 22). 23-30 are duplex channels, where the transmit frequency is different than the receive; this is to work with repeaters, which have to retransmit on a different frequency they receive so they can retransmit in realtime.

On the duplex channels (23-30), you radio transmits 5 mhz higher than it receives; the receive frequencies are the same as the simplex 15-22. Rept22 is 462.725 receive, but 467.725 transmit, and a repeater on that channel would be listening on 467.725, and retransmit the audio on 462.725 (where you're receiving).

Because of how the radios are set up (and locked down), trying to talk direct radio to radio on the repeater channels isn't going to work;it's designed for bouncing the signal via repeater.

So channels 23 to 30 are presumably preprogrammed to use with repeaters. And as such, all GMRS repeaters will only be on one of these eight frequencies? So if a repeater were nearby I would just see the frequency and use the corresponding repeater channel if it were Open?  Am I getting close?

2 hours ago, BBQBuff1967 said:

So channels 23 to 30 are presumably preprogrammed to use with repeaters. And as such, all GMRS repeaters will only be on one of these eight frequencies? So if a repeater were nearby I would just see the frequency and use the corresponding repeater channel if it were Open?  Am I getting close?

You're on the right track ?

I'll say they SHOULD all be on those channels, as that is the normal convention.  As far as I know you can set your radio to display frequency or channel; if there's a repeater transmitting on the channel/frequency you're listening to and you have no tones set, you'll hear it.

On tones, think of them as a filter on what gets heard. Most repeaters use an input tone, to limit both accidental access and interference; to use the repeater, you'll need to set your radio to use the right tone to get through the filter. I believe the menu item will be "t-ctcs" for ctcss/pl tones (two names for the same thing), and 141.3 Hz is a common one. If the repeater didn't require a tone, yes it'd be as simple as going to the right repeater channel and transmitting, and (assuming it's in range) the repeater would rebroadcast your audio. You can also use tones to only hear certain signals. For example, a couple repeaters I use on Channel 16 use the same input and output tone; they each have a receive channel set in memory with the appropriate tones, and I change the tone settings on Rept16 based on which I'm using at the time (the btech radios only let you transmit on the preset channels; any more beyond that are receive only).

Most of the listings on the site include information on what tones are required (for open repeaters) or an option to contact the owner/trustee for permission; they'll generally provide the tones or information on accessing them online when granting permission.