TK-8180 Programming Revisit

Extreme

Question

I've programmed several 8180 and 880 Kenwoods using the correct cable and software, 89D and 49D respectively.  I'm used to plugging into my known good 8180, Read it, then Write to the new radio.  I got out of sequence today with a new-to-me 8180 from an Ebay source (inn the past I've dealt only with used-radios.com).  Powers up fine but show "Searching"....  Finally pushed enough buttons to settle it down with labels from the previous owner but of course I have no idea what setting are.

So I attempted to Read several 880s and 8180s (2 each off the shelf) and the one in my XJ, which is known good and fully functional (they should all be good).  The software will not Read that radio either.

1.  Plug into mic port

2. Plug into laptop

3. Open Device Mgr, move the cable port from Serial to Com Port 5 (highlighted), OK

4. Open KPG-89d, Setup - Com Port 5 selected.

5. Read from radio.  "Check all connections and Com Port"

I managed to get it to Read from one radio off my shelf using a Motorola power supply.  Subsequent attempts to Read from that radio resulted in "Check Connections..." 

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong and simple.  Like maybe my sequence is off?

I've gone back to Ebay to find a new 46 cable from BlueMax but he doesn't have them listed.

Spent 2 days installing the 8180 into my new Jeep and run into this, dang it.. that's how I roll.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Those radios use an RJ-45 style plug I believe. I would check the connector that plugs into the radio. All the contact fingers should be clean. You can try to wipe the contacts down with alcohol, the programming cable, and use a Q-tip to do the socket in the radio.

Sometimes gently bending the contact fingers out a tiny bit helps if you can get to them.

2 of my 3 8180 programmed fine but the 3rd will not.  It shows "Searching" on power up, gives me the check connection/com port message when I try to Write to it.  Somewhere here it's been mentioned that these (ebay) might be password protected so I'm wondering if someone might provide the methodology to 'unlock' this radio.  It's such a nice clean unit I hate to leave it on the shelf.

I'll keep searching.

Thanks. 

One of my TK-880 had a different (non-Kenwood) firmware, and required software called WinSJI to communicate with radio. I also used this software to flash the Kenwood firmware back. Maybe worth investigating. I think you confirmed that your cable is good and your PC is good, by communicating with other 2 radios.

Edit:

This what I've found: http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/passport2conv.html

If the radio shows "searching" it is probably a trunking radio, either Passport or LTR-NET, with proprietary Scholer-Johnson firmware.

These radios can not be read with Kenwood software.  They are also usually inhibited from flash firmware changes.

Reprogramming the radio for conventional use requires the SJI software version that matches the firmware and the radio is usually password protected.

The procedure, if you can obtain the software and the password for the radio, is to read the radio with SJI, enter the radio password and go to Edit/Optional Features to clear all Data Passwords and check the box to enable Firmware Programming.  Write to the radio and read it again to confirm the changes.

Then you can use Kenwood FPRO to install the current Kenwood firmware. Then you should be able to read and program the radio with KPG89-D. The radio will probably display garbage and not function until it is reprogrammed.

The bottom line is, without access to SJI software, the password, and Kenwood firmware, the radio will only function on it's presently programmed trunking system. 

The same general information applies to Kenwood TK-880 trunking radios.

4 hours ago, RCH said:

If the radio shows "searching" it is probably a trunking radio, either Passport or LTR-NET, with proprietary Scholer-Johnson firmware.

These radios can not be read with Kenwood software.  They are also usually inhibited from flash firmware changes.

Reprogramming the radio for conventional use requires the SJI software version that matches the firmware and the radio is usually password protected.

The procedure, if you can obtain the software and the password for the radio, is to read the radio with SJI, enter the radio password and go to Edit/Optional Features to clear all Data Passwords and check the box to enable Firmware Programming.  Write to the radio and read it again to confirm the changes.

Then you can use Kenwood FPRO to install the current Kenwood firmware. Then you should be able to read and program the radio with KPG89-D. The radio will probably display garbage and not function until it is reprogrammed.

The bottom line is, without access to SJI software, the password, and Kenwood firmware, the radio will only function on it's presently programmed trunking system. 

The same general information applies to Kenwood TK-880 trunking radios.

Yup, had the "searching" on an 8180.  Friendly member here did his best to help me out but I never could get positive results.  Although this particular 8180 was an ebay purchase, I simply contacted www.used-radiios.com and they kindly took the radio and made the necessary changes for a small charge + shipping, and got it back to me within a week or so.  Awesome service, but I knew that, having purchased multiple used units from them in the past.  I've yet to power it up but I'm sure it will be fine when I get around to programming.