Photo

TYT TH9000 UHF GMRS REPEATER SETUP?

TYT TH9000 GMRS REPEATER

Best Answer jvfreetage , 10 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

The TYT's are not a bad radio, but they really don't handle high duty cycles too well.  Had a buddy of mine got one cheap, and set it up as a crossband in his house to reach a distant repeater here on the island.  The high duty cycle really got the radio HOT!!  Run the output radio on medium power, or even low. Bearing that in mind, as long as you're not running a radio net through the things, they should do OK.  OF COURSE THIS IS ALL HYPOTHETICAL due to part 95 acceptance yadda yadda yadda....

The sure-com controllers are pretty decent, and they have a "plug and play" interface with the TYT, AND DTMF remote kill.  The only thing you should add to the repeater is an identifier.  Radio Tone makes one that will actually wire in line with the sure-coms.  Yep... Plug and play.

When you're running your antenna, make sure it's tuned properly.  If you've made a dual band j-pole out of 1/2" copper pipe, unfortunately it's not going to work too well.  Staying with the whole make your own theme, try and make one out of 3/4" or 5/8" copper and the actual radiating part will only be about 2' tall.  Using a thicker pipe will give you a broader frequency coverage.  Make sure you tune the VSWR for the OUTPUT, you can fudge the input.  

Now yes you can put the TYT's on top of each other, but if you can space them out some (say a couple of feet or so) you might get a little better performance as well as heat dissipation.

I would guess that your range issue is also related to how you have and where you have your j-pole mounted.  I've made a few of them, and learned that any type of grounding to the things will throw off the transmit big time.  Also, they need to be clear of any metal.  So for example, if you mount your j-pole to an aluminium mast, make sure the "j" part is at LEAST 2' above the aluminium pole, and the base of the j-pole is NOT directly attached to the aluminium.  J-poles are great if there's no metal around them, but any metal (when using them on 440) within 2' will throw the whole thing off.  

But... Good going.  Experiment Experiment Experiment.  I LOVE building antennas and seeing what I can do with them.  Also, I do like your idea of mounting the antenna in the oak tree.  Just be warned that you'll loose performance in the rain.  Mounting it above your roof line is your best option for performance.  

OK... I think I've beat this horse enough.  If you have any other questions just fire them out!!!

GOOD LUCK!

James

WQUL457

W8JVF/KH6

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRH471
  • Ham Callsign:W5PKY

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

You really don't have to have a way to remotely disable a GMRS repeater. It's not actually stated in Part 95A like it is in Part 97.

That is another thing I like about the 16 pin Motorolas though. You can easily configure them to disable TX based off of the built in signaling.

#22 jvfreetage

jvfreetage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQUL457
  • Ham Callsign:W8JVF

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:20 PM   Best Answer

The TYT's are not a bad radio, but they really don't handle high duty cycles too well.  Had a buddy of mine got one cheap, and set it up as a crossband in his house to reach a distant repeater here on the island.  The high duty cycle really got the radio HOT!!  Run the output radio on medium power, or even low. Bearing that in mind, as long as you're not running a radio net through the things, they should do OK.  OF COURSE THIS IS ALL HYPOTHETICAL due to part 95 acceptance yadda yadda yadda....

The sure-com controllers are pretty decent, and they have a "plug and play" interface with the TYT, AND DTMF remote kill.  The only thing you should add to the repeater is an identifier.  Radio Tone makes one that will actually wire in line with the sure-coms.  Yep... Plug and play.

When you're running your antenna, make sure it's tuned properly.  If you've made a dual band j-pole out of 1/2" copper pipe, unfortunately it's not going to work too well.  Staying with the whole make your own theme, try and make one out of 3/4" or 5/8" copper and the actual radiating part will only be about 2' tall.  Using a thicker pipe will give you a broader frequency coverage.  Make sure you tune the VSWR for the OUTPUT, you can fudge the input.  

Now yes you can put the TYT's on top of each other, but if you can space them out some (say a couple of feet or so) you might get a little better performance as well as heat dissipation.

I would guess that your range issue is also related to how you have and where you have your j-pole mounted.  I've made a few of them, and learned that any type of grounding to the things will throw off the transmit big time.  Also, they need to be clear of any metal.  So for example, if you mount your j-pole to an aluminium mast, make sure the "j" part is at LEAST 2' above the aluminium pole, and the base of the j-pole is NOT directly attached to the aluminium.  J-poles are great if there's no metal around them, but any metal (when using them on 440) within 2' will throw the whole thing off.  

But... Good going.  Experiment Experiment Experiment.  I LOVE building antennas and seeing what I can do with them.  Also, I do like your idea of mounting the antenna in the oak tree.  Just be warned that you'll loose performance in the rain.  Mounting it above your roof line is your best option for performance.  

OK... I think I've beat this horse enough.  If you have any other questions just fire them out!!!

GOOD LUCK!

James

WQUL457

W8JVF/KH6

#23 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

Not required to have a IDer for GMRS or for many commercial services for the matter. Personally, I'd keep one off an open repeater (any abuse or misuse that goes through the repeater is your problem because you are technically IDing for the violators). 

Mobile radios are mobile radios…most are only built for a 25% duty or less at full power.

#24 kentuckyradio

kentuckyradio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVB250

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

Has anyone done any testing on this TYT 9000 unit? as far as power output on high? I only appear to have about maybe 30 watts output with a dummy load and good wattmeter..

Is anyone seeing that these are varying in power from one unit to the next? I was planning to use it as the transmitter side of our new repeater but my old Motorola seems to have

more power as a 40 watt unit..

Would love to hear some real world tests..

Thanks!

Randy.

#25 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

I've noticed some differences in power outputs on some of the Chinese stuff but haven't gotten my hands on the TYT mobiles.

Which wattmeter are you using?

#26 kentuckyradio

kentuckyradio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVB250

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thanks, It's a Bird.. Just thought it was odd that it was lower than i had expected, considering the coverage for both 25 and 40 watts are very similar with a tiny exception for fringe areas.. I just have had a hard time getting any real world specs from anyone whom has these radios.. it seems to be a fairly common radio for the cost too..

Thnx

WQVB250

Randy

#27 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1446 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:21 AM

Hello, Randy and welcome to MyGMRS Forums. Nice to have you with us.

PastorGary -
Senior Moderator

MyGMRS Forums.

Weather postings Copyrighted  ©  TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#28 WHITETIGER

WHITETIGER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:wqtl988

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

Hi everyone...apologies for the delay. After all this time ID like to report with results. The sr 628 distorts the signal drastically and the distance decreases dramatically while in use. It works great but needs high output maybe a preamp but for now, the th9000 is bare and were getting good range with a repeater. The setup is a simple sinc labs gmrs antenna on the crest of the roof about 4 feet above it wired straight through a 4ft netting pole..its pretty much tree level And were getting just about the coverage we need its great . The vehicle Is sporting an old bus antenna its great. U guys helped alot for the record thank you

#29 WHITETIGER

WHITETIGER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

Without** not with a repeater**

#30 WHITETIGER

WHITETIGER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

If you haven't heard of it id say check out the aggragandizer By kd0tls . Looks like a higher quality controller is necessary ...but these radios do alot i can attest..when i get the chance i will certainly raise up an antenna high as the law allows and connect a repeater!!

#31 WHITETIGER

WHITETIGER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:40 PM

Good news all your help is appreciated. We are using the radios without a repeater an getting good range, perfect for our area ...the rated 8dbd ground plane antenna is 4 feet up on the crest of the roof of a single story...reaching about 8 miles out.

I tried sr628 with the aggregandizer style configuration through the back of the radio using db9 cables and it works up until side a/b requires input then about half range...maybe if the antenna was higher could get a good signal in a 600 +- split frequency at longer range but i dont see why i wouldnt go simplex in this instance. I havent tried any other repeater.

#32 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Good news all your help is appreciated. We are using the radios without a repeater an getting good range, perfect for our area ...the rated 8dbd ground plane antenna is 4 feet up on the crest of the roof of a single story...reaching about 8 miles out.

I tried sr628 with the aggregandizer style configuration through the back of the radio using db9 cables and it works up until side a/b requires input then about half range...maybe if the antenna was higher could get a good signal in a 600 +- split frequency at longer range but i dont see why i wouldnt go simplex in this instance. I havent tried any other repeater.

Split is 5 MHz in GMRS. 600 kHz is only found in the amateur 2m and some parts of the VHF-Hi LMR band.

#33 mabbent

mabbent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVL289
  • Ham Callsign:KG7SPS

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:47 PM

Moved to its own topic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TYT TH9000, GMRS, REPEATER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users