The Baofeng UV-9G GMRS radio is back in stock

SteveW

For people who may have been interested in buying this radio (mainly for its water resistance), Baofeng has apparently fixed some bugs and re-released it:  amazon.com/s?k=B098JGLWZ1

I don't own one and don't plan to buy one, as I already have a Retevis RP76P and a Wouxun KG935G.  But, the Baofeng looks like an attractive option for a modestly-priced HT.

• 3 months later...

I got mine in late January, and most of the bugs have been worked out of it. No CTSS codes, NOAA channels can be taken off the scan list, the applicable channels were set to wide band. I programmed it via Chirp. Over all I am very please with it. I have been able to hit a repeater 42 miles away, and can talk simplex to my daughter about 1 mile across town ( lots of trees, houses, and power lines in between. I haven’t tried any further than that). I am certainly not a GMRS expert, but so far I have been very please with it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, WRPL668 said:

Just ordered mine today from Radioddity.  Hope it’s as good as yours. 

It's an awesome radio, and I really like it. In fact, I like it so much that I'm not going to do the water test. There's no doubt, you will like it.  

No need for testing it under water. I just want a decent radio to travel with me. I live in a dead area an have to drive/travel to get some comms. So if I’m home it just sits on the shelf. Don’t need a big buck to draw dust while I’m home. 
Let me know what you like best from your uv9g please. 
bob - WRPL668. 

On 3/22/2022 at 6:19 AM, WRPL668 said:

No need for testing it under water. I just want a decent radio to travel with me. I live in a dead area an have to drive/travel to get some comms. So if I’m home it just sits on the shelf. Don’t need a big buck to draw dust while I’m home. 
Let me know what you like best from your uv9g please. 
bob - WRPL668. 

One thing I like about it is that it's supported by Chirp. 

Steve - WRPR990

12 hours ago, WRPR990 said:

One thing I like about it is that it's supported by Chirp. 

Steve - WRPR990

Hmmm good point. The real one thing I don’t like about it is the antenna port is a touch small to put in a #771 replacement. I’ve seen some utube video on how to enlarge it. But I also heard that they are working on improvements so we’ll see. 
bob - WRPL668

I merely had to sand the base of a 771G to get it to fit.  In my case I rolled the sandpaper around the last 1/4 to 3/8 inch of the base, rotated the antenna near the base about 5 to 6 times and noticed it was beginning to fit.  4 or 5 more rubs and it now fits well.  This make-fit technique actually seems to give better support of the longer 771G antenna  base due to the engagement of the antenna to the plastic shell of the radio.

11 hours ago, WRPL668 said:

If you have to use the stock antenna again would that be kinda loose?  The 771 is big an you might want to use the one that came in the box.  Just a thought. Still waiting for mine……..

bob - WRPL668

It shouldn’t be.  He took material off the 771 base, not out of the rim of the case.

Well the uv9g arrived late yesterday. It’s going to be a learning curve for me. It has much more on it then the 905g.  I’m not sure I like the belt buckle thingeee.  But I guess time will tell. Anything you all owners of this radio think I should know please feel free to let me know.  Help for a 80 year older will be grateful. 
thanks,

bob WRPL668

Hello WRPV821 an welcome to our site. You may want to go to utube an pinch in “Gadget Talk”.  He has two videos on our uv-9g that are pretty good viewing. I found that his review of our radio was great an I took some notes.  Let me know what ya think.   People here have a great source of help also. The repeater section his a help. 
Good luck,

bob WRPL668

On 3/27/2022 at 7:22 AM, WRPL668 said:

Hello WRPV821 an welcome to our site. You may want to go to utube an pinch in “Gadget Talk”.  He has two videos on our uv-9g that are pretty good viewing. I found that his review of our radio was great an I took some notes.  Let me know what ya think.   People here have a great source of help also. The repeater section his a help. 
Good luck,

bob WRPL668

Thank you very much. i have checked his youtube channel love it, i just have to try an join later down the road. but i am saving and taking notes from his post.

Mike WRPV821