HF bands

phottomatt

I'm studying for my tech license and just discovered something interesting. As a pilot that flies international I have to have a restricted radiotelephone license to operate my HF radio. Our HF radio covers many different bands, from 160 meter through 6 meter, and the license says I am "authorized to operate any radio station". The tech license has a lot of restriction for HF, many bands are not allowed and some only for CW. The way I read it though, I, as a holder of the restricted radiotelephone license, could take advantage of the otherwise limited bands and use them for "phone" mode prior to getting my tech license. Being new to all this I might be missing something so I thought I would ask on here.

From the FCC:

"RR holders are authorized to operate most aircraft and aeronautical ground stations. They can also operate marine radiotelephone stations aboard pleasure craft (other than those carrying more than six passengers for hire on the Great Lakes or bays or tidewaters or in the open sea) when operator licensing is required."

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/commercial-radio-operator-license-program/commercial-0

I would take that to mean that you may be authorized for any band, but only for Marie or Aeronautical uses. Similar to one using marine radios/frequencies inland for hunting, its outside the authorization and highly frowned upon.

If you have your RR license, you have some knowledge. Getting your General is not much more information to review than Tech, and you get 99% of the Amateur spectrum.

2 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

From the FCC:

"RR holders are authorized to operate most aircraft and aeronautical ground stations. They can also operate marine radiotelephone stations aboard pleasure craft (other than those carrying more than six passengers for hire on the Great Lakes or bays or tidewaters or in the open sea) when operator licensing is required."

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/commercial-radio-operator-license-program/commercial-0

I would take that to mean that you may be authorized for any band, but only for Marie or Aeronautical uses. Similar to one using marine radios/frequencies inland for hunting, its outside the authorization and highly frowned upon.

If you have your RR license, you have some knowledge. Getting your General is not much more information to review than Tech, and you get 99% of the Amateur spectrum.

Oh good info, thanks for that, sounds like I'll just get tech and general at the same time then. 

I have been in this position for a while now, having a Technician class amateur license and Restricted license (as well as GROL) for vessel and aircraft......keep wishing I had stayed for the next test. However, where I took the test,I did not exactly want to stick around much longer.....there were definitely some "personalities" at my testing location. I run into some of them from time to time, me working in commercial radio, with a little public safety related, and many amateurs wanting to assist but not wanting to put the time in for organized drills. 

Good luck on your tests, and actually using radios. I know many that have the license that never transmit, they just wanted a piece of paper to put on the wall.