GMRS radio for blind operators

haneysa

Question

I was recently asked about the availability of a 50W GMRS radio that could be operated by a blind operator. This operator contacted me on an HF net that I participate in, so he is not a newbie to two-way radio. I know that many HTs have a voice annunciator option that would let him know what channel he was on, and also announce other values/functions, but I do not recall seeing that on any mobile GMRS radios. The blind operator wants to set up a base station. My first thought would be an HT with this capability connected to an amplifier, but I am not sure of such an amp being available (4-5w in, 50w out). Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, haneysa said:

I was recently asked about the availability of a 50W GMRS radio that could be operated by a blind operator. This operator contacted me on an HF net that I participate in, so he is not a newbie to two-way radio. I know that many HTs have a voice annunciator option that would let him know what channel he was on, and also announce other values/functions, but I do not recall seeing that on any mobile GMRS radios. The blind operator wants to set up a base station. My first thought would be an HT with this capability connected to an amplifier, but I am not sure of such an amp being available (4-5w in, 50w out). Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

I haven't dug into it, but I seem to remember seeing the option to enable voice announcements in the settings on some of my vertex stuff, so it may be more of a thing on the commercial side. There's definitely some mobile options that carry part 95a certification (the old gmrs rules) in addition to part 90, and they can be set up to be pretty foolproof.

Commercial wise, many Motorola Trbo XPR5xxxe/7xxxe series and APX7/8xxx APX series radios have voice announcements for more than just channel selections. APX radios made for law enforcement use have ViQi (Vicki), to assist in settings and changes. However, I am not aware of a specific mobile or base-station that would have this. However, when connecting an Icom PCR-1000 receiver to an old Windows XP computer, the settings for the visually impaired included some features that worked well with that black box receiver. Might be a way to go, using the computer for the interface and voice instead of the radio.