Vertex Wideband Recovery Tool

WRFP399

Question

9 answers to this question

Don't know a good free source, but vertex radio group lists it as available to members ($35 a year for access to the downloads)...I haven't broken down and paid yet.)

https://www.vertexradiogroup.net/vertex-radio-software-downloads/

What radio/CPS are you working with? some will let you get around the narrowbanding by changing the system date to something before 1/1/2013. I know this works for my vx920 and p820 series radios, and the 4200's (I'd have to check which cps numbers those are)

There are 2 versions of the Wideband Recovery Tool.

Version 1.01 which does most of the older Vertex line. That should be available online if you search it. Motorola/Vertex never charged dealers for the Software. I have successfully flashed older analog VX-231 radios back to Wideband using 1.01 with just a standard (inexpensive) generic USB programming cable.

If you're trying to recover newer radios like the EVX series - you're going to need Version 1.03.  That isn't nearly as easy to find online, and you also pretty much need to invest in the FIF-12 programming box/cable setup from Vertex to make that work with newer radios. The FIF-12 runs about $150 to $200 new.  

It really does depend on which radio you're working with - as mentioned above.

43 minutes ago, Radioguy7268 said:

There are 2 versions of the Wideband Recovery Tool.

Version 1.01 which does most of the older Vertex line. That should be available online if you search it. Motorola/Vertex never charged dealers for the Software. I have successfully flashed older analog VX-231 radios back to Wideband using 1.01 with just a standard (inexpensive) generic USB programming cable.

If you're trying to recover newer radios like the EVX series - you're going to need Version 1.03.  That isn't nearly as easy to find online, and you also pretty much need to invest in the FIF-12 programming box/cable setup from Vertex to make that work with newer radios. The FIF-12 runs about $150 to $200 new.  

It really does depend on which radio you're working with - as mentioned above.

Yeah, I have evx's...they've programmed fine with a cable from ebay (bluemax49ers); if I get my hands on a copy of the v1.03, I'll probably give it a shot before laying out for the fif-12. 

I also have it on my mental list to try hex editing to get a couple of them (g7 split) down to 440mhz.

You will need to use the driver for the FIF-12 in order to make it work with v 1.03.  If the cable you're using has the same chipset, then you might be able to skip purchasing the actual FIF-12 cable from Vertex/Motorola. I tried mucking around with a few different cables trying to get the FIF-12 driver to recognize them, but never had any luck with it.

I had success using the older version with a generic cable for programming, firmware, and wideband recovery - but it didn't work with v 1.03

On 12/6/2021 at 5:38 PM, wayoverthere said:

Yeah, I have evx's...they've programmed fine with a cable from ebay (bluemax49ers); if I get my hands on a copy of the v1.03, I'll probably give it a shot before laying out for the fif-12. 

I also have it on my mental list to try hex editing to get a couple of them (g7 split) down to 440mhz.

Good morning. Speaking of hex editing I have a vertex 7200 uhf mobile with the 450.0000mhz and I would love to get it down to 430.0000mhz any ideas how I can do that.

18 hours ago, Kc9pqt said:

Good morning. Speaking of hex editing I have a vertex 7200 uhf mobile with the 450.0000mhz and I would love to get it down to 430.0000mhz any ideas how I can do that.

to be honest, i still haven't gotten around to digging into it. a little googling did find instructions for the vxd720, which is the handheld cousin of your 7200, which may be worth a try.

http://vertexdmr.blogspot.com/2015/11/vertex-out-of-band-mod.html