Stubby Antenna for HT

AJBelayer

The kids and I have really started using our radios more on short walks/hikes which is great they are getting involved however I worry about breaking off the antenna (port) as they are still a little hard on the radios.  I’ve been using a RH3 on my radio and for the range we need 90% of the time it’s great.  Currently we are using the boafeng and woxun HTs both have a SMA connector but I have BNC adapters as that is what I have standardized my other equipment on.

Is the RH3 and similar 440 antennas an acceptable solution if they get the job done or is there a GMRS equivalent we could look at?

Antennas on handheld radios are already impacted by their design and ease of use. Before replacing antennas, and adding an adapter that may change make breakage easier, it might be wise to test out a "rat tail" counterpoise for use in that 10% time frame. This was discussed a few days ago here on this site. 

On 12/11/2021 at 6:51 PM, AJBelayer said:

The kids and I have really started using our radios more on short walks/hikes which is great they are getting involved however I worry about breaking off the antenna (port) as they are still a little hard on the radios.  I’ve been using a RH3 on my radio and for the range we need 90% of the time it’s great.  Currently we are using the boafeng and woxun HTs both have a SMA connector but I have BNC adapters as that is what I have standardized my other equipment on.

Is the RH3 and similar 440 antennas an acceptable solution if they get the job done or is there a GMRS equivalent we could look at?

I use a stubby antenna on occasion, when we don't need a long range, and want something more compact. I bought mine from Powerwerx.com, but I don't see them listed on their site right now. They are made for GMRS. There are some for GMRS on Amazon if you look there. They are SMA.