Midland GTX 1000

Jwalter66

Question

So I have these radios and transmitting from Munds Park and cc and can hear people clear as day from Glendale and surrounding areas but when I clear I get nothing . I'm on channel 16 "575" with no tone as the map of repeaters shows none but no one ever responds to me, what the heck am I doing wrong ?? Any help is appreciated..

4 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, Jwalter66 said:

So I have these radios and transmitting from Munds Park and cc and can hear people clear as day from Glendale and surrounding areas but when I clear I get nothing . I'm on channel 16 "575" with no tone as the map of repeaters shows none but no one ever responds to me, what the heck am I doing wrong ?? Any help is appreciated..

Possibly nothing wrong. While it's possible there's a power disparity in play (many of the gxt1000's being only 2 watts and many "mid tier" radios doing 5 watts), it's more likely they have tones set and just aren't hearing you.

While there's definitely some enthusiast presence here (the site), in the real world it's more common for users to have tones set so that they only hear their group (be it friends or family). Since tones are effectively a filter, they don't hear you, but with no tone set (and thus no filter) you'll still hear them.

Welcome to myGMRS.

I own many of the GXT1000 radios. They will permit you to hear, but not talk on repeaters. They are designed for simplex communication only, and are in the same league as bubble pack FRS radios.

The FRS and GMRS share 22 frequencies, all of which are used for 2-way simplex communication (radio-to-radio). Because the two services share these 22 frequencies FRS and GMRS radios may intercommunicate in the same way that FRS-to-FRS radios can.
The gem of the GMRS is that repeaters are allowed, and to support this the FCC has allocated 8 additional frequencies that are reserved for communication to and through a repeater. The GXT1000 does not have those frequencies.

A repeater uses two frequencies. One that is listens on, one that it transmits on. A repeater-capable GMRS radio will have the ability to use two frequencies as well. When communicating through a repeater your radio will also transmit on one frequency and receive on another. If, for example, your handheld is working is working a 575 repeater, then your radio would transmit on 467.5750 MHz, the repeater will receive your signal on 467.5750 MHz and then retransmit it on 462.5750 MHz and your radio and others will receive it on the 462.5750 MHz frequency as well. This is called Duplex communications.

You can hear the repeaters on you GXT1000 because the 8 frequencies that repeaters transmit on are 8 of the same frequencies also used for simplex communications. So, the bottom line for you is that if you wish to communicate through repeaters you will need the following:
- A repeater-capable radio.
- Permission from the repeater owner to use their repeater.
- Correct programming of the radio so that is transmitting on the correct frequency using the CTCSS or DCS code given to you by the repeater owner, and receiving on the frequency that the repeater transmits on.
- Operate within the usable 2-way coverage range of the repeater and your radio.

Hope this helps.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

9 hours ago, mbrun said:

Welcome to myGMRS.

I own many of the GXT1000 radios. They will permit you to hear, but not talk on repeaters. They are designed for simplex communication only, and are in the same league as bubble pack FRS radios.

The FRS and GMRS share 22 frequencies, all of which are used for 2-way simplex communication (radio-to-radio). Because the two services share these 22 frequencies FRS and GMRS radios may intercommunicate in the same way that FRS-to-FRS radios can.
The gem of the GMRS is that repeaters are allowed, and to support this the FCC has allocated 8 additional frequencies that are reserved for communication to and through a repeater. The GXT1000 does not have those frequencies.

A repeater uses two frequencies. One that is listens on, one that it transmits on. A repeater-capable GMRS radio will have the ability to use two frequencies as well. When communicating through a repeater your radio will also transmit on one frequency and receive on another. If, for example, your handheld is working is working a 575 repeater, then your radio would transmit on 467.5750 MHz, the repeater will receive your signal on 467.5750 MHz and then retransmit it on 462.5750 MHz and your radio and others will receive it on the 462.5750 MHz frequency as well. This is called Duplex communications.

You can hear the repeaters on you GXT1000 because the 8 frequencies that repeaters transmit on are 8 of the same frequencies also used for simplex communications. So, the bottom line for you is that if you wish to communicate through repeaters you will need the following:
- A repeater-capable radio.
- Permission from the repeater owner to use their repeater.
- Correct programming of the radio so that is transmitting on the correct frequency using the CTCSS or DCS code given to you by the repeater owner, and receiving on the frequency that the repeater transmits on.
- Operate within the usable 2-way coverage range of the repeater and your radio.

Hope this helps.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Thank you Michael, very helpful!!! Searching for the proper radio now..