Troubleshooting BR-450

Mike9000

Question

I am doing my first installation of my BTECH UV 50x1.  I am using the Browning BR-450 with the Browning WSPBR1015 Enclosed Nmo 3/4 Hole Mount on a Accessories Unlimited AUJ1 Stainless Steel Fender Mount that i bored out to 3/4".  It is all going on my Jeep JKU.

My SWR meter is maxing out while transmitting on 5 watts.  I've checked continuity with the cable unplugged from the center pin on the cable to the antenna, the mount to the vehicle ground and they do have good continuity.

I also plugged in an old HAM antenna to see if it was the radio and it returned an SWR of 2.9:1.

Is there anything else I can check?

20211217_065311.jpg

20211217_065547.jpg

20211217_065424.jpg

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, kb2ztx said:

Make sure the center pin of the antenna is really touching the center of the NMO mount. You can test from the whip to the center pin on the coax. to me it appears either a short or open. 

Sotty, didn't mention that.  I checked continuity from the center pin on the NMO connector to center pin on the cable then attached the antenna to the NMO and checked from the whip to the center pin on the cable.  All had good continuity

1. MFJ-880 is only good up to 60MHz. Cannot be used for UHF. It is actually written on it's face. Notice, the reading that is on the photo does not make any sense: the reflected power is higher than forward power, and the SWR is bigger than infinity.

2. With the mount like this, lip mount with a fender/hood close to the side and no ground plane, I'd expect the antenna whip would need lengthening, not shortening.

14 hours ago, axorlov said:

1. MFJ-880 is only good up to 60MHz. Cannot be used for UHF. It is actually written on it's face. Notice, the reading that is on the photo does not make any sense: the reflected power is higher than forward power, and the SWR is bigger than infinity.

2. With the mount like this, lip mount with a fender/hood close to the side and no ground plane, I'd expect the antenna whip would need lengthening, not shortening.

Thanks!  This makes sense.