Q, repeater channel w/o a reperter?

Josh00333

Ok edjumicate me.

I currently have channel 20 set up w 141.3 tone. There are no repeaters in my area using it. I just figured for travel I would set it as there are so many out and abought. 

That said, if I'm using that and have my other friends set the same way can we use 20 normally? ie will two base units talk to each other with out a repeater relaying it between them?

I'm guessing no as my understanding repeater transmits out bound differently, but not sure?

15 minutes ago, Josh00333 said:

Ok edjumicate me.

I currently have channel 20 set up w 141.3 tone. There are no repeaters in my area using it. I just figured for travel I would set it as there are so many out and abought. 

That said, if I'm using that and have my other friends set the same way can we use 20 normally? ie will two base units talk to each other with out a repeater relaying it between them?

I'm guessing no as my understanding repeater transmits out bound differently, but not sure?

Your last statement is on the right track, but there's a little more to it.

If you're both using simplex channel 20 (usually labeled as 'gmrs20', 462.675), your radios are transmitting on the same frequency as they're receiving. Tones being a sort of filter, if you're both using the same tone, yes, you'll hear each other even in the absence of a repeater.

Repeater channel 20 (20r, or rept20) your radios will be transmitting 5mhz higher (467.675) than where they're listening (462.675), where a repeater would be listening (this is referred to as offset, or repeater offset). In this case, since where your friend is listening isnt where you're transmitting, and vice versa, you won't be able to talk to each other without a repeater to retransmit your signals on the frequency you're listening on.

3 hours ago, H8SPVMT said:

Well then let's look at the Talk around feather.

As I understand it all both of the users could use the Talk-Around" feather on the radios and now communicate.

Is that possible?

On commercial radios when both stations switch to the talkaround feature you bypass the repeater by RX’ing and TX’ing on the frequency used for the repeater output. For GMRS that’s legal. The repeater output frequencies can be used for simplex operations. Just be aware if there is a repeater on that frequency you might be jamming somebody trying to RX the repeater’s output. Its also the same problem with FRS radios. Local kids decide to park on the very repeater channel you use blocking your RX. It happened to me a few times.