Busy channel receiption

mpoole

Question

On my Wouxun 805-G, I'm seeing a lot of busy channel screens on channel 15 & 23.  When monitoring channel 15, I'm hearing a tone about every 15 minutes that must be coming from another radio (like a CWID tone).  The rest of the busy channel notices have no modulation at all.  I'm 70-80 miles from the nearest repeater using channel 23 (550) that is listed in MyGMRS but close to some Over-landing areas at Jocassee Nat'l Forest who I hear occasionally.  A couple of questions:

I do not see a menu item on the 805 radio to turn off the busy channel feature like the B-Tech GMRS-V1 has, does it not have the ability to turn it off?

Should the busy channel feature open my squelch if the setting is "1"?

I'm running a Vertex Standard 7000U repeater as well as my hand-helds listed above, no problems except for Wouxun 805-G.

Ideas?

Mike   WRJE502

RMPOA 550

2 answers to this question

On my Wouxun 805-G, I'm seeing a lot of busy channel screens on channel 15 & 23.  When monitoring channel 15, I'm hearing a tone about every 15 minutes that must be coming from another radio (like a CWID tone).  The rest of the busy channel notices have no modulation at all.  I'm 70-80 miles from the nearest repeater using channel 23 (550) that is listed in MyGMRS but close to some Over-landing areas at Jocassee Nat'l Forest who I hear occasionally.  A couple of questions:
     I do not see a menu item on the 805 radio to turn off the busy channel feature like the B-Tech GMRS-V1 has, does it not have the ability to turn it off?
     Should the busy channel feature open my squelch if the setting is "1"?
I'm running a Vertex Standard 7000U repeater as well as my hand-helds listed above, no problems except for Wouxun 805-G.
Ideas?
Mike   WRJE502
RMPOA 550

Good Day mpoole. Welcome to myGMRS.

I am not familiar with the term “Busy Channel” in the way you are using it. Perhaps you can clarify. At present I am interpreting that your squelch is opening up when you think it should not on a couple of channels (15 and 23), is that correct?

When you don’t hear CW on the radio, and the radio appears busy (green light flashing) are you hearing anything else? Noise? Digital Sounds?

The first point to note is that both channels 15 and 23 are actually the exact same receive frequency, if you are using the default configuration supplied by the manufacturer. Both use 462.5500 MHz. Now, whereas Channel 15 transmits and receives on the same frequency, channel 23 receives on one frequency and transmits on a another. This other frequency is used for communicating through repeaters.

The KG-805G has squelch settings that range from zero (no-squelch/un-muted) to 9. The later will require the greatest and most noise-free signal to open up (un-mute) the radio, in the absence of it detecting a CTCSS or DCS code. If your radio is operating in an area where there is elevated RF noise on or near the frequency you are tuned to, then yes, that low setting of 1 in combination with the signals in the area will unmute the radio. Note that one (1) is the most sensitive of all the squelch settings.

I live in an area with incredibly low RF noise. In most all cases I can set my radios to a squelch setting of 1 and they will never open up in the absence of someone actually communicating near me. However, if take my 805G into my office and rest it near near my desktop computer or iPAD, the RF noise being given off by either of these computers is enough to cause it to break squelch wif the radio has a squelch setting less than 5. If I hook that same radio up to my outdoor antenna I can set squelch level back to 1 without issue. I imagine your vertex repeater is using an outdoor antenna while your 805G is using a rubber duck indoors so perhaps conditions are similar. So is the radio busy when the radio is in the house, but not busy when it is outside?

Also, I have found the 805G receiver to have the most sensitive receiver of all my radios, breaking squelch with levels as low as -125dBm. Perhaps this added sensitivity is affecting you.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM