Motorola Radius GR1225...

liahju

Question

12 answers to this question

@liahju What makes you think it needs adjustment? I'm assuming you have the tools/software to program it, correct? I guess, what are the symptoms you are having? Or is it more/less you think it might need adjustment? pull the duplexer cable off the transmit side and put a power meter on it. Verify frequency accuracy and power, it may not need anything. 

There is a great resource called Repeater Builder, and they have a whole section on that series of Motorola radios/repeaters: https://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/r1225/r1225-overview.html

48 minutes ago, Radioguy7268 said:

Most dealers don't want to mess around with unsupported products - they would rather just sell you a brand new unit.

This is so very true, and not just with Motorola. (I have co-workers that swear this is only Motorola, as some of them used to work for Icom, and I used to work for the JVC/Kenwood Group, then Harris, but mostly on Motorola Solutions Inc. systems. I know they are full of it as all vendors force planned obsolescence, just like cars). But, older GR series repeaters are great if you can handle the light duty cycle.

I currently use a VHF GR1225 for amateur use,as well as a GR300 that started life with two dual channel Motorola mobiles installed, but now contains two XPR4550 Trbo (analog/DMR)mobiles. Both came from oil industry use, and were cast off as surplus when narrow banding took place in 2013. However robust these older units are, it is hard to find parts, even well used spare parts, let alone "new old stock" from a reputable dealer. I have a six repeater system in one city in Texas that is ran entirely off Radius series radios and repeaters, the oldest Motorola system in the corporation, and is is no longer supported by any local vendor, with no parts available when it does finally go down. 

The current replacement recommendation from Motorola is a SLR5700 series repeater (50 watts) or a SLR8000 (100 watts). Model numbers approximate pricing,so about $6k for the SLR5700 and $8-10k for the SLR8000 when installed. 

4 hours ago, liahju said:

Radioguy7268.. I only asked for adjustments in the radio...

Right, but you didn't indicate why you thought it might need adjustment, or if you just wanted to verify proper operation for your own piece of mind. The FCC removed annual station maintenance checks back in the 1980's for a reason. 

Over in Ivyland there's a place called Control Dynamics. The owner there is a Ham, and I don't know if he wants to get involved with your GR1225, but I do know he's got a boatload of experience with them. 215.956.0700

Most dealers don't want to mess around with unsupported products - they would rather just sell you a brand new unit.

You didn't mention if the unit was giving you problems, or if you just wanted to have someone put it on a station monitor and verify it for alignment. Once the GR1225's go bad, there's not much in the way of parts or replacements, and the cost of (paid) repairs will quickly exceed the value of the unit.