BTech GMRS 50X1 - Not Quite There

WROZ250

Let me start by saying that I am aware that BTech/Baofeng's intention is to be fully part 95 compliant.  Let me also say that I wished I had watched more reviews on this radio before buying. 

Yes, it's substantially cheaper than other 50W mobiles, and I can live without a removable control head and some of the other 'fluff' features (FM broadcast?).  However, where Baofeng really dropped the ball on this radio, was when they limited the transmit capable channels to just the preprogrammed memories.  Even if you program a legitimate  GMRS frequency/pair into one of the other available memories, the radio will not transmit, nor will it transmit in VFO mode, again, even if the transmit frequency is a legitimate GMRS frequency.

I suppose if you just want a base station radio and only use a few repeaters (on different frequencies) or simplex frequencies, the radio is pretty good.  Even then, however, if you live in an area and have access to multiple repeaters, or like many GMRS users I've listened to, you travel a lot and/or are into off road activities, you might find yourself having to change the CTCSS tones in the transmit capable memories frequently.  No, it isn't difficult to do that, but it is damn inconvenient.

So after doing a deep dive into the capabilities of this radio and, while also considering keeping the radio with hopes for the possibility of a firmware update to at least enable transmit on legitimate (User Entered) GMRS frequencies, I have opted instead on the side of caution and decided to pack it up and return it for a refund.  Yes, it was cheaper (and easier) to obtain than, for example, the Wouxun KG-1000G. In hindsight I think the extra bucks might have been the better choice.  I think I'm just going to hold off on a mobile for a while and see what the develops in the market.

:(

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 8:48 AM, absolut3zr0 said:

I purchased one last year and have been able to program a number of repeaters and can transmit without issue on both those new programmed channels and the standard GMRS freqs. Maybe you got a bad one? Were you able to RMA it?

It looks like the OP did indeed return hers. Mine is well past the window to return, as I've had it for just shy of 2 years. It was probably the best new off the shelf option at the time I bought, but the market has moved significantly since...maybe they've updated their firmware in light of that.

Mine has started dropping power on high, too. It'll start dropping almost immediately after keying up; after some long transmit testing (enough to kick the fan on), I found it stabilizing around 25 watts. I'll roll with it a bit longer, as that's enough to get into a couple near repeaters, but I have an antenna switch waiting so my 70cm base (part 95a certified) can pick up the btech's duties on gmrs.

Edited by wayoverthere
corrected pronoun

On 2/9/2022 at 10:54 AM, wayoverthere said:

It looks like the OP did indeed return his.

Yes, she did return the radio. LOL!

For the high price, the 50X1 just didn't seem like a very good deal considering all the limitations and, for about $80 more you can get the KG-1000G which is a far superior radio with none of the limitations and even a few more options. 

Alternatively, and if you don't mind hunting around, there are, as many have pointed out, numerous used (and even new) programmable Part 90 radios on the market.  The latter are not certified for GMRS, but the average part 90 commercial radio is far better than even the best Chinese radio (IMHO). 

I don't advocate using non part 95 radios, but that is a personal choice for me.  I have too much to lose in the extremely unlikely event the FCC knocks on my door.

32 minutes ago, WROZ250 said:

Yes, she did return the radio. LOL!

For the high price, the 50X1 just didn't seem like a very good deal considering all the limitations and, for about $80 more you can get the KG-1000G which is a far superior radio with none of the limitations and even a few more options. 

Alternatively, and if you don't mind hunting around, there are, as many have pointed out, numerous used (and even new) programmable Part 90 radios on the market.  The latter are not certified for GMRS, but the average part 90 commercial radio is far better than even the best Chinese radio (IMHO). 

I don't advocate using non part 95 radios, but that is a personal choice for me.  I have too much to lose in the extremely unlikely event the FCC knocks on my door.

?‍♂️ My apologies...corrected my post above as well. Hard to get a feel from a call sign, but I shouldn't assume.

Agreed, the btech isnt the value proposition it used to be. Also agreed on advocating for following the rules, I'll provide the information i can to help people make informed choices...from there, we're all adults and can decide which way we go..I stick with part 95 equipment as well.

On the part 90 market, part 90 in itself isn't strictly approved, but there are some out there certified for both (90/95a). It's not as easy as grabbing one of the off the shelf radio, the fcc id is key here to check to be sure.  Kenwood and Motorola have a few, though I'm not as familiar with model numbers as some other members. Mine is a Vertex Standard, and it's the one model of theirs I've found that had 95a certification. Fcc id is K6610354640 (link to the grant)

• 3 weeks later...

With all due respect to posters above and with complete understanding of the shortcomings, I have to tell you that for $400 ( which is $30 less than single 1000 unit) I got two 50x1 units. These are working perfectly fine as a base and mobile radios. I can monitor 4 frequencies at the same time. And its powerful enough for what I need.

Working in tandem with a fleet of different HTs, including two 935g units - I am covered 360 degrees. 

After all 1000 is priced at $370 now and 50x1 is $220. I am sure 1000 worth every penny. But is it a great value at $370? I don't think so. 50x1 is a great value at $220.

It wasn't so much price as it was features.  

Specifically, the ability to add additional GMRS frequencies/channels into memory, which cannot be done.  I never suggested it was a 'bad radio', just that for the money, there are other radios available that provided more of what one might expect in an over $200 (Chinese) radio (and I exclude the KG-1000).  Indeed, there are many sub $200 radios that offer a lot more capability.

All that said, it seems the radio meets your needs and I am happy for you. 

The 50x1 simply did not meet my needs or expectations for a radio in the $200+ price range.  IMHO, the 50x1, while a perhaps a good performing radio (RF wise), is anything but a good value at $220 given it's lack of flexibility when it comes to memories/programming. 

If there was any benefit to me from purchasing it, it was the learning experience and a lesson in doing your research before buying.

As noted, I returned the radio the next day.

However, as always, to each their own.

46 minutes ago, WROZ250 said:

All that said, it seems the radio meets your needs and I am happy for you. 

And in the end, that's all we can do...help understand the features and limitations, so users get the radio that meets their needs...one of those "right tool for the job" kinda things.

My 50x1 was a great learning tool, but I wanted more. For some use case, midlands are fine radio, while others, not so much.