Brochure Specification comparison...

gman1971

The earlier Systems Sabers and analog Sabers are modular so you can change band splits by swapping a few modules and retuning. I have done this with several surplus govt split IRS radios.

The Astro Saber is a bit too tall for my taste. I have a couple of those but prefer the Systems Sabers.

I wish Motorola had continued with the Saber form factor. The later Astro XTS and APX radios are sort of bizarre and bulbous in styling.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, gman1971 said:

Is there a Motorola radio model you don't own?

There are some holes in the collection, especially with mobiles. I am the traditional radio hoarder, and have mobile data terminals, and lots of gear around, but most of it doing something. I would say about 85-90% Motorola thanks to the oil industry and planning for hardware replacement.

Then Kenwood/EF Johnson/Zetron.....working for them helped that a bit, corporate "yard sales" where day three everything went for free as ""e-waste" costs the company money. My Zetron ALI display shows the entire caller ID data, as the entire data stream is sent, but consumer grade equipment only shows name and number, two lines.

5 hours ago, gman1971 said:

Added the Astro System Saber, but there isn't much info really. Certainly not as detailed as the newer radios spec sheets are. 

FYI. The info I sent you was for Systems Saber, not Astro Systems Saber. There is an Astro Saber, but it is a different animal and not Part 95 certified.

The Systems Saber is wideband only so there are not as many specs. The standards were TIA-603A.  And it has no GPS or Bluetooth etc. Its just a radio!  If you use a modern lithium ion battery with it you can attain 5500 mAh and the radio is nearly 6 oz lighter. the duty cycle at 5/5/90 is about 20 hours. There are 2200 mAh lithium ion batteries that are shorter and give about 9 hours.

4 hours ago, PACNWComms said:

There are some holes in the collection, especially with mobiles. I am the traditional radio hoarder, and have mobile data terminals, and lots of gear around, but most of it doing something. I would say about 85-90% Motorola thanks to the oil industry and planning for hardware replacement.

Then Kenwood/EF Johnson/Zetron.....working for them helped that a bit, corporate "yard sales" where day three everything went for free as ""e-waste" costs the company money. My Zetron ALI display shows the entire caller ID data, as the entire data stream is sent, but consumer grade equipment only shows name and number, two lines.

What model ALI? What else might one see in the data? I get a lot of robocalls and it would be interesting to see what they cannot spoof.

7 hours ago, JLeikhim said:

What model ALI?

I use Zetron 3010 ALI displays that were part of the 3200 series telephone "Call Taking" systems. They provide a line for "name" and another for "phone number" but also show landline address, or wireless cell phone tower lat/long, then if they get the second "rebid" from an ALI database, the lat/long of the cell phone GPS. They will also show which first response elements are responsible for the callers location: police, fire, ems (emergency medical services), and usually a line or two of notes. Cellular calls will have the carrier name: Verizon, ATT WRLS (American Telephone &Telegraph Wireless), etc. However, they are not stand alone in that respect......you need access to an ALI database or something for the 3010 to query from to display information. I have several and an older copy of a local database, but have also connected one to an alarm system and another just to a keyboard for messages (the one shown).

Zetron had numbered product lines:

1000 was SCADA, 2000 Paging Systems (yes, they are still in use many places), 3000 Call Taking, 4000 (Radio) Dispatch, 5000 DFSI dispatch, numbered box products, and then MAX series, and highest end Acom Novus. For the first 30 years, most of this was connected to Motorola radios, until they were bought by the JVC/Kenwood Group, then sold last year to Codan of Australia. I would consider the 3000/4000 series to be the best gear for a 9-1-1 Public Safety Answering Point, unless they can afford Acom Novus ($1 million plus cost). Zetron's hayday matched that of Motorola in my opinion, 1980-1990's. But, you do need more than the device to get expanded Caller ID....a connection to an ALI database, Internet access, old electronic phone book.....I have seen some creative uses.

Z3010.jpg

I was hoping they were squirting ANI/ALI along with caller ID these days.  I have noticed a huge delay on answering calls these days on my VoIP residential line. Also some long string of numbers along with phone number on my phones caller ID. It would be nice to be able to discern the spoofed calls, I suppose mostly from India.

I am familiar with older models, Zetron model 48B, 38 etc tone panels. Also 6/26 fire station alerting. A great company with niche products.

9 hours ago, JLeikhim said:

I was hoping they were squirting ANI/ALI along with caller ID these days.

Sadly, this ended a few years ago, with the implementation of "i3" (Intelligent Third Generation) 9-1-1 Public Safety Answering Point network requirements. Everything around the PSAP, telephone service providers, and data within 9-1-1 infrastructure must be sent via SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) which also meant changes for sending ALI/ANI information. Sort of like P25 standards for common air interface for radio, and set data rates...etc. CallerID information is now queried instead of just sent along as it used to be.

Bummed me out too as my Zetron 3010's made crank and spam calls very interesting. Now, only a few come in with full information, and mostly from landlines (which is now only about 20% of my own inbound calls).