Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

very good then. Yes, Yes, Yes get your Ham. it's pretty easy and opens up the air waves. If you already have basic radio knowledge and understand basic electricity, study for your General and Extra, you will do well. Also when you need technical help with GMRS a basic GMRS user will not be able to help you. If you really need help you can always count on a good HAM operator.

Sorry about your location, lol If I am more than a half hour from the ocean, I feel land locked.

#22 JeremyM

JeremyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationNW Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQI726
  • Ham Callsign:K4TTL

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

I noticed you mentioned your small business. Keep in mind that ham is amateur radio and under no circumstances should be used for business purposes. To do so would inevitably get a nice fine. GMRS is not for use by businesses either, anyone doing so could wind up in the same boat as someone using ham improperly, but GMRS is far less policed by the community.

If you want something for short range (1-2 miles) without the need for a license, look into MURS channels 4 and 5. They are not to be used with more than 0.5 watts but they are in the VHF range and have good propagation in most geographic locations. If you want for personal use, then GMRS or ham are great services to use. I really enjoy the use of both services.

Jeremy
K4TTL
WQQI726

#23 bilko

bilko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth West Arkansas
  • GMRS Callsign:wqpv972

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

I have been using GMRS for my personel  busness for a long time It is only myself and the wife, Most of the comm between us is passing info from the house to the workshop.

• Logan5 likes this

#24 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Indeed, as a Family Business you are allowed, even employees if they each obtain a GMRS license. What we have here in south Florida is Taxi, Tow trucks, Hotels and Apartment building services using GMRS, They make no call sign announcements, likely because they possess no license to begin with. I monitor the band and listen for info with regard to who they are and what kind of work/business. The FCC has a field office in Miami so complaints can be made locally. After I get my SWR fixed on my repeater, I will have more time to do the follow up work and make a report. Best regards Jim...

#25 bilko

bilko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth West Arkansas
  • GMRS Callsign:wqpv972

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

They  are most likely using bubble pack, with out reading any of the material that came with them.

#26 JeremyM

JeremyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationNW Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQI726
  • Ham Callsign:K4TTL

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

Ah, then as Logan said, it is not a big deal and does not break any rules on GMRS.

Jeremy
K4TTL
WQQI726

#27 walkabout

walkabout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRY843
  • Ham Callsign:KG7HBF

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

I know that those bisterpac radios have there place for sure. Being able to communicate at all in some situations is much better than having nothing at all. i say this because one of types of radio's was instrumental is the rescue of a good friend of mine who took a terrible climbing fall in an area where there was no cell service. Someone on the summit witnessed the fall and started calling for help, luckily there was a search and rescue group in the area doing a exercise. being able to put that call out shaved hours and hours off the time it would have taken them to get on scene.

just my two cents. I don't now what model was used but i believe that they where another mountaineers group, seems like all of the Mountaineers use Motorola radios and they have been very durable.

Icom IC-F21

#28 WQPE714

WQPE714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPE714

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:12 AM

I have a pair of the MS350R . I was able to hit Verdugo & Harvard from Riverside with them. (provided your standing in the right spot) The sound is ok. You can split the PL's as well. Durability seems good, one of them has hit the pavement a couple times now and still works fine

Yeah I got in on the verdugo peak repeater in seal beach with on of those before. Than i started seeing a bunch of baofeng and wouxun mobiles on amazon.
  • Logan5 likes this

#29 mellowcream

mellowcream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXL580
  • Ham Callsign:KE3PDO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

I have the Motorola MS350's. They do work with repeaters and go a decent distance. The battery life is terrible, just use AA or some other rechargeable packs.

• Logan5 likes this

#30 Guest_spd641_*

Guest_spd641_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:50 AM

I just bought 2 of those Motorola MS350 waterproof radios and I am surprised.Those things get into my repeater almost as good as my 5 watt  and I tried them at a good distance and even indoors they worked.I was amazed at the coverage plus I got these for a steal $17.99 a pair since they are discontinued from my local RS and I will be buying the other 2 pairs they have in stock tomorrow,they were a good friend deal and I am going to get all I can...William

#31 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRH471
  • Ham Callsign:W5PKY

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

I talked to a guy on our 675 repeater using the Motorola MSR350. He sounded okay, he was about 5 miles closer to the repeater than I was though. Little quiet, which would leave me to believe that the Motorola bubble packs are all narrowband radios. What that means, the FCC claims that 2.5 kHz deviation is equivalent to -3 dB of signal with 5 kHz deviation. Some 3rd party repeater contractors have shown the number to be equivalent to nearly -6 dB in real world tests. So using a 2W narrowband radio is equivalent to a 1W wideband radio (per the FCC) and no better than a .5W wideband radio per 3rd party testing.

Personally, I'll stick with my 4W Icom and Motorola's. As far as the BF-666/777/888 goes…some of them won't actually narrowband and none of them have Part 90 grants. The FCC has acknowledged and stated that they are not interested in pursuing people using Part 90 approved (or even older Part 90 wideband only) equipment on GMRS as long as they are using it properly within power limits and not causing harmful interference.  I own a BF-888, though I haven't hooked it up to my Bird (have to find a low power slug first) I have calculated the transmitter through FSPL to be closer to 3.5W and not 4W or even 5W. I did find with the 888 that it's a 3 dB improvement if you use a $8 Motorola Jedi series UFH antenna.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users