Repeater Antenna

WRMN374

Question

6 answers to this question

15 hours ago, JohnE said:

used them all the time. they did have some issues a few yrs ago w/radome separation from the support pipe. other than that they are an OK light duty antenna.

They seem like a good setup. I just haven't heard many reviews. I didn't realize there was a difference between a base antenna and a repeater antenna. The antenna I'm looking for has to be strong enough for a 50watt radio.

I can't speak for the FG4607, but I do have the FG4603 on a bridgecom bcr-40du. I get better performance with the FG4603 compared to the Ed Fong GMRS antenna I replaced, along with better SWR. The higher the db the narrower the beam from what I understand. Looking at the specs, FG4603 has a 33* beamwidth, FG4605 has a 27* beamwidth and the FG4607 has a 14* beamwidth. The FG4607 will shoot your signal out further but it might miss people lower down. 

(all beamwidth specs came from https://www.talleycom.com/)

UNDERSTANDING-ANTENNA-GAIN-AND-DBI.jpg

just remember there is a 2.1 dB difference between dBi and dBd . The Laird is rated in dBd that being said you have to compare apples to apples in terms of gain.

I tend to use 5 to 6 dBd antennas as that splits the difference and has a smaller cone or umbrella effect if you will.

6 hours ago, JB007Rules said:

For that kind of money you can get an Andrews (Commscope now) DB-404-b and it would run circles around that Laird based on my experience.

Folded dipoles are better for the most part than fiberglass units for tower/repeater use.

Thanks!

Yes, I saw the difference last weekend. Which is why I'm leaning towards the DB-404. This is my dilema, but I can see supporting mygmrs if I purchase one. I just need to find the tower info, and and add a few feet to that. And hope I never need to adjust it.