EchoLink-like for GMRS

WRQE227

Greetings All.

I'm an absolute newbie to GMRS. Just got my license last Thursday (04/21/22). I've been a Ham for 17 years and run an EchoLink node from my home for a local repeater, and was wondering if there was an EchoLink-like service for GMRS? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Probably the closest thing used as such is Zello, which unlike echolink, doesn't require a ham license. I'm not up on all the hardware bits involved, but they'll usually have a channel set up tied to a node or repeater, with admin permission required to transmit into the channel.

On a side note, I've been pondering doing something similar to your setup with Echolink, so i can access a local repeater remotely, just haven't dug into if I can make it work with what I have or need another radio (oh darn!).

That said, if you can work out the interface hardware and locked down the access appropriately (probably self only), I don't see why you couldnt use echolink to access your home node.

I have a repeater on Zello and it's a kludge to get setup and working.. But once you get through all that, it works fairly well.  Also, FYI, although you dont need GMRS license to use Zello, you DO need a GMRS license to transmit on a repeater connected to Zello.

Not knowing exactly what you want to do/accomplish, a better/more robust solution might be the MyGMRS Network.

Thanks for the responses. What I'm trying to determine and accomplish is this: To determine if there is software like EchoLink that I can install on my computer that will allow me to link to a GMRS repeater and get on one of the regional or National nets. None of the GMRS repeaters in my area that are also in the GMRS Network are close enough for me to get to over the air. If that possibility doesn't exist, can I go to the GMRS Network map and link into one of the repeaters shown there and get on one of the nets.

Thanks again,

Dave

Yes, i've used zello to do exactly that; to access repeaters that were connected to the net (and greatly appreciate the repeater owners that allow that access) that are well outside RF range.

It takes searching out the channel associated with the repeater, and then being granted transmit access in the channel by the admins (usually they like to see your call sign in your username/profile in hello to verify).

13 minutes ago, WRQE227 said:

Many thanks for that info. One last wrinkle; I run Linux on the main computer, although I have another laptop with Windows. Is there a version of Zello for Linux, or must I use Windows. I don't want to run Wine.

I haven't seen a Linux version; what use I've had has been almost entirely the android app.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:08 AM, OffRoaderX said:

I have a repeater on Zello and it's a kludge to get setup and working.. But once you get through all that, it works fairly well.  Also, FYI, although you dont need GMRS license to use Zello, you DO need a GMRS license to transmit on a repeater connected to Zello.

Not knowing exactly what you want to do/accomplish, a better/more robust solution might be the MyGMRS Network.

I literally just left a comment on your video earlier today about that!!

I'd be very interested in your setup