repeater connection

WROY518

Question

Can someone please help me . i have a btech 50x1 .i have a bf-uv10r and uv5r. i cannot get them to speak  to each other on a repeater . i can hear them on my btech 50x1 but cannot be heard on the bf radios when speaking out of the btech . i know its something stupid . does anyone know how to get the offset enabled of the repeater channels  on the btech?. for some reason  i haave neg and postive on at the same time. its so effing annoying ..  please explain the proper way to connect to a repeater on both ends so i can talk farther than a block. thanks 

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, WROY518 said:

Can someone please help me . i have a btech 50x1 .i have a bf-uv10r and uv5r. i cannot get them to speak  to each other on a repeater . i can hear them on my btech 50x1 but cannot be heard on the bf radios when speaking out of the btech . i know its something stupid . does anyone know how to get the offset enabled of the repeater channels  on the btech?. for some reason  i haave neg and postive on at the same time. its so effing annoying ..  please explain the proper way to connect to a repeater on both ends so i can talk farther than a block. thanks 

The Btech comes with the offset already programmed on the repeater slots (REPTXX, as opposed to the simplex channels, GMRSXX), no programming needed. Outside of tones and names, those first 30 channels are hard coded, and anything else you add past those is RX only.

If you have the handhelds in the same room as you're transmitting to the repeater, what's probably happening is the strong signal from the Btech causing the others to desense, effectively "going deaf". They may light up like they're receiving a signal, but not have any audio, or just not respond.

You may also double check that the tones are correct, and that the repeater is using a tone on the output (if you have the handhelds set with a Rx tone), but my money is on desense.

Steve,

Not one to take anything for granted, so lets do a quick review:

What GMRS Repeater Channel are you working with ?

What is the code or codes for this Repeater Channel?

What GMRS Repeater Channel is your UV10r set to?

What is the code or codes set for this Repeater Channel on the UV10R?

What GMRS Repeater Channel is your UV5r set to?

What is the code or codes set for this Repeater Channel on the UV5r.

Wayoverthere may well be correct in his analysis that there is a desense taking place given the proximity of the radios to each other, but I just want to verify

that the set up is correct before diving deeper.

It may be a matter that your two handhelds are not hitting the repeater.  If they are not hitting the repeater on a Tx they may not be receiving a signal on the Rx side.

Once you respond, there might be some further diagnosis available.

Best,

Gil