Help with Chirp

Ringo

I am new to GMRS and radios in general. I reached out for approval to a local repeater and was given the details, but I am a bit unsure how to translate that to CHIRP.

Here is what I was given:

TX 467.625 DPL XXX / RX 462.625 DPL XXX.

In CHIRP I am programming a DIY channel (frequency 467.625000 with a +5 offset). For the DLP, I am trying to set the DTCS code and the DTCS Rx code, but it only lets me set one. Also, the DTCS poll gets set to NN, is that what I want? Sorry for a newbie question.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MemoryEditorColumns

This page may help clarify, when Tone Mode is DCS (the correct entry for a repeater that uses DPL), the radio will use the same DCS tone for both tx and rx, based on the DCS Tone column. On the DCS Pol column, that refers to Polarity, either Normal or Inverted; if not specified in the listing, it's usually assumed to be normal polarity.

What kind of radio are you programming?  Were you able to first download a copy of everything currently in the radio and save it to your system? I would recommend you then save another copy with the word WORK in it so you know it isn't the original that you might need should you accidentally brick your radio.  The rest of this is my "opinion" and may be contradictory to what you hear/read but if you give it a try it probably will get you on that repeater. <Wink>

After editing you should be able to first save your "WORK" then upload it to the Radio...  In your case you probably will wind up with a line that reads something like this at one of your locations:

Loc # = Self explanatory

Frequency = 462.625000

Name = (Something like) RPT625

Tone Mode = Tone

Tone = the value of the PL code he/she gave you to transmit into the repeater (if you click on the space a nice drop down menu will pop up)

Duplex = +

Offset = 5.000000

Mode = FM (then again it might be WFM depending on what specific radio you are programming - don't use NFM)

Power = High (generally - but up to you).

All the rest should probably be blank just to get it working....

OK, there is my two cents, for what its worth.  Hope this helps get you going.  I sure wish you luck and want to say Welcome to GMRS! 

Dave453
WRPZ453

OBTW, in my experience, there is no reason to set up my radio with a receive tone, you will hear what is being said anyway and its just another step that can get fouled up.  If you had two repeaters fairly close by, and you only want to hear what is said on one of them - I guess you could use the receiver "trick", but to be honest - seeing that situation generally is pretty rare.  JMHO.

A final thought - some of the Chinese radios that have been getting FCC approval for GMRS have a problem if you try to edit more lines for GMRS use than the 8 they have pre-programmed.  I have a BTECH GMRS 50X1 that is like that.  If that is the case you will be forced to edit the line that already contains the repeater frequency you want to use and just set the Tone properly to get in.  Again, good luck with this!

Edited by Dave453
Correct text

@Ringo I see @Dave453 already corrected one part, but didn't really point it out. You indicated you set the freq to 467.625, it should be 462.625. When you are setting up the repeater channels in Chirp you setup the radio's receiving freq (the freq the repeater transmits) and then your offset indicates where you transmit relative to that receiving freq. 

Also, you noted DPL, were those frequencies or 3 digit codes? If there were 3 digit codes, you put that in the DTCS Code column, not ToneSql, and set the Tone Mode to DTCS.