GMRS radio integration into car speakers, while maintaining music.

Screech

Question

I've recently got a KG-1000G for my truck, it's a basic 2021 Ranger XLT so the ACM directly powers the speakers. I'm planning on mounting the radio body in the back behind the rear seat and I'm looking for a clean install. With the radio behind the rear seat I'm not expecting much from the internal speakers and I'm not really expected the speaker on the handset to be that great.

I'm sure the easiest way would be to put a dedicated external speaker or two on the 1000G and call it a day. But I don't want new visible speakers and I'm not sure the audio quality if I hide the speaker somewhere, maybe under the seats. So, perhaps feedback on hidden external speaker locations in the Ranger that have good clean audio.

Foreword, linked products are just examples of the type of product, not necessarily the product I plan to buy as I have more research on those before I would commit to that. Right now, I'm thinking of getting a couple of speaker to line level converters, one for the radio's front channels and the other for the 1000G's A and B outputs. Running the outputs of those converters into a stereo mixer with at least 2 pairs of inputs and 1 output pair (L/R). Next would be a small amp to the front speakers. Have A on the left and B on the right. The amp would not need to be a big one either as the stock radio in this is not very powerful and I don't want the doors over powering everything else. Optionally if I wanted to upgrade the whole sound system I would go with a 4 channel amp and get another speaker to line level adapter on the radio's rear channels.

Has anyone done this, or aware of a similar or preferred way of doing this? I will say I'm not looking for using an Aux/BT input into the truck's radio as I'm then forced to choose music or GMRS.

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, WRKG311 said:

You could put a RDL mixer in-line with one of your speakers (I would do front passanger) https://www.markertek.com/product/st-umx3/rdl-st-umx3-3x1-universal-audio-mixer-3-mic-or-line-inputs-x-1-mic-or-line-out

They are small, easy to understand and hold up to heat. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at that it looks like a mixer similar to what I linked already. Unless I'm misreading the details, it still requires mic/line level inputs, so I would still need the speaker to line level converters, and since it is single channel instead of dual channel output, I would need two of them. And then I'd still need the amp on the output to the speaker.  If I'm tapping into the speakers on the truck I would rather do it in pairs just so that that pair of speakers should have a similar sound, without then needing to add an eq as well to "balance" the sound back out from variations in sound from the added amp on a single side. So at this moment if I had to choose between the quick pick I did verse this one I'll choose the quick pick, unless there is something about the one you linked that I misread. Also the 24V power requirement is a nonstart on that one.

Do you listen to FM broadcast radio, or do you use your phone for your music needs?

You could use a mixer to mix radio and phone inputs, and put it directly to the car's aux in on the stereo. The nice thing about that, is when your phone is connected to the handsfree bluetooth, and you answer a phone call, it basically "mutes" your radio.

I mostly use the Android Auto for music and navigation, so that is a different audio input, uses either USB or BT for audio from phone to truck. Navigation though AA is better than the Sync3 navigation Ford ships with.

I'm not sure of speaker placement on the Ranger, but I've seen a few options on the F150 that might work for you:

1) If there is a center channel speaker in the dash above the infotainment system, disconnect it and use it as the speaker for your radio. Can be seen here: full

2) Get a remote speaker and place it behind the infotainment system, within the dash. This can be seen here: http://i.imgur.com/ZiKiesy.jpg?1

@tweiss3 That may be the simplest option. My XLT doesn't have a speaker there, but I'd bet if I pull that trim piece up there is a mounting location, should just need to buy the Lariat trim speaker and cover. Time to start looking for that, maybe they are not on back order. I already ordered one dash trim panel I'm cutting up and test fitting the KG-1000G face plate on. 

Update: looks like about $130 for the grill, speaker and speaker plug from Ford. The path I was going was at about $160.