how do I get setup on an open repeater

swccbear12

Question

15 answers to this question

I would listen for any repeater activity on the 8 GMRS pairs. It is easy to find the PL tone, by changing the tone and then transmit until you find it, listen for a delay or use another radio or scanner to listen for your voice, announce your calls signs and ask for permission. also depending on your area, check the list of repeaters here on www.MYGMRS.com, and ask for permission by e-mail. and yes you will need to program your radio for a +5000mhz offset and discover their PL tone so as to access. if they use an uncommon pair, they will be a little harder to work. You may consider running your own repeater, you can get a used one or a simple one made from 2 radios for a couple hundred bucks. if you don't mind running two separate antennas. if you prefer a single antenna install you will need a duplexer at another 100 bucks.

Hello All,

I am a new user and just received my GMRS License. I do not have a radio just yet. I emailed a few repeater owners asking for permission on their repeater. So far, I received a response from an owner granting access. I live in Orange County, CA. The name of the repeater is Mt. Wilson with a frequency of 462.600 MHz. It says I can use 167.9 or 229.1 as an input tone.

My next question is what handheld radio would you guys recommend that could access this repeater as well as other repeaters? I don't know how to access the repeater? Is it something I can program the radio to do or should a dealer program it for me? Giving the info above on the repeater , is that all the info needed to access it? I've read that you need 2 different frequencies? One to transmitter and other to receive?

Anyone that is kind enough to help me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Welcome to the myGMRS forum SAM. Sorry it took so long to reply, but with the Holiday and all. Ok when you set up a new radio, you will use it's manual to get intouch with it's basic workings first. Some radios allow direct programing, others only allow for USB programing, most everything else is str8 forward from there. let's say you set up RX  on 462.600mhz, in your radio menu you will find an option that allows you to set the repeater offset. +,- or none. under this menu option you will select +5,000mhz this will put your TX or transmit on 467.600,. there are other options in the menu system of your radio that allow you to set other varibles  as well, one most critical to repeater usage is the PL tone, or CTCSS and to some degree DCS. in the this case of CTCSS let's say the repeater has an input tone of 167.9 you would need to set your TX CTCSS to 167.9 to activate the repeater. If you chose to lock out other simplex chatter on 462.600, you would also set your RX CTCSS to 167.9 this will filter out most others conversations. But is not to be confused with a private conversation., many bubble pak radios boast the CTCSS and DCS as privacy codes and they are not. With regard to chosing a radio, There are many options, Cheap Chinese Radios (CCR's) are not Part95 certified, although they will work on GMRS, They are not techincally compliant. Some CCR's also get hot quickly and degrade in transmit quality when hot. also to remain compliant as well as courtsey to the repeater owner, you should always announce your call sign and refrains from interupting an already on going conversation. I sugest turning off noise makers like beep tone and the like. is not nessary and get's old fast. If a conversation with your family member can be made via simplex, keep it on simplex, save the repeater usage for those that need it. There is much more to learn and you will in time, but this should be enough to get you started. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate, we are here to help.   Jim...

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your help.

I am looking for a decent radio with direct programming if possible. USB programming would be my second choice. After reading on these Chinese radios seems to me I prefer something a lil better in quality.

Any particular radios you can direct me to? I would need 2 radios.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

You mentioned you wanted direct programming capabilities. I assume you mean the ability to key in the desired frequency directly from the radio keypad? If so, this is in violation of FCC part 95 regulations. Part 95 radios are not intended to be field programmable, that way they are restricted to the presets defined by their programming. A field programmable UHF radio would be considered part 90 and not authorized for use on GMRS by the FCC. If caught using GMRS on part 90 equipment and the agent wanted to enforce the law, there could be repercussions for the station operator.

Only trying to be helpful. The FCC regulations are sometimes not very clear, I have found myself confused several times and had to re-read or ask for assistance on these forums.

Guest spd641

There were a few Part 95 mobile radios and a Kenwood TK-805d is on which is field programmable and FCC Part 95 certified,as for hand held radios none come to mind but if you are going to be in close proximity to the repeater a hand held is alright but remember you may hear a 50  watt repeater does not mean it will hear you 4-5 watt hand held,just a thought to keep in mind...William

Welcome to the myGMRS forum SAM. Sorry it took so long to reply, but with the Holiday and all. Ok when you set up a new radio, you will use it's manual to get intouch with it's basic workings first. Some radios allow direct programing, others only allow for USB programing, most everything else is str8 forward from there. let's say you set up RX  on 462.600mhz, in your radio menu you will find an option that allows you to set the repeater offset. +,- or none. under this menu option you will select +5,000mhz this will put your TX or transmit on 467.600,. there are other options in the menu system of your radio that allow you to set other varibles  as well, one most critical to repeater usage is the PL tone, or CTCSS and to some degree DCS. in the this case of CTCSS let's say the repeater has an input tone of 167.9 you would need to set your TX CTCSS to 167.9 to activate the repeater. If you chose to lock out other simplex chatter on 462.600, you would also set your RX CTCSS to 167.9 this will filter out most others conversations. But is not to be confused with a private conversation., many bubble pak radios boast the CTCSS and DCS as privacy codes and they are not. With regard to chosing a radio, There are many options, Cheap Chinese Radios (CCR's) are not Part95 certified, although they will work on GMRS, They are not techincally compliant. Some CCR's also get hot quickly and degrade in transmit quality when hot. also to remain compliant as well as courtsey to the repeater owner, you should always announce your call sign and refrains from interupting an already on going conversation. I sugest turning off noise makers like beep tone and the like. is not nessary and get's old fast. If a conversation with your family member can be made via simplex, keep it on simplex, save the repeater usage for those that need it. There is much more to learn and you will in time, but this should be enough to get you started. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate, we are here to help.   Jim...

I live in Southern California, I use a Cheap Chinese hand held radio, a Baofeng BF - 888 (UHF Only) to be exact, and is made for GMRS. It does not overheat or degrade. They work with the repeaters here very well. The radio is 5 watts or less output power. They are programable with GMRS Frequencies via USB cable, and your PC. I got 6 of them on amazon for $16.90 each. My family loves them. You will too.

I live in Southern California, I use a Cheap Chinese hand held radio, a Baofeng BF - 888 (UHF Only) to be exact, and is made for GMRS. It does not overheat or degrade. They work with the repeaters here very well. The radio is 5 watts or less output power. They are programable with GMRS Frequencies via USB cable, and your PC. I got 6 of them on amazon for $16.90 each. My family loves them. You will too.

I was wondering how that model (888) did real world. I have looked at them a few times. Do yours have the scramble feature, and have you used it? I have Motorola equipment (a lot of it) but I want to add something cheap and versatile to the fleet in case I need it, something I would not be devastated about if someone lost or destroyed one. I would also like to have scramble option on my Part 90 Itinerant frequencies if I need it. 

Update...never mind about the scrambler...I think it was a different model I was looking at. The 888 looks nice for a cheapy though. 

Guest spd641

Just let me add one thing to this comment.While the Baofeng radios work for GMRS they are not FCC Part 95 certified for use on GMRS.I do not want others thinking they have the certification without doing some research themselves.I am not condoning or nor making any complaints as to the legality about what each person chooses to use on their system.I only wanted to let the new people make their own choice before buying their choice on which radios to buy...William

I've used the bf-888 in simplex, never through a repeater. My experience has been nothing but positive. Signal carries well and very clear on both tx and Rx. For 17 bucks on amazon, you can't go wrong. Easy to program with the baofeng software. I have mine programmed with 1-8 as FRS, 9-16 as gmrs.

I have 7 ccr's. Various models. When my riding friends and I head out on snowmobiles, there may be as many as 12 of us. Keeping track of everyone is like herding cats. Everyone takes a radio and because the blister packs are so prevelent, that's the freq's we use. Vhf would be better for the terrane we are in but I can't convince the guys that spent several hundred bucks on garmin rino's. It makes no sense to me that garmin didn't do murs instead of FRS/gmrs. BTW, the ccr's are better performers than the rino's. The rino's mostly sound like crap.

Sorry about the long rambling post....