MXT 400 Wideband

I am considering a Midland MXT400 since they can be programed for wideband even in simplex mode, my only feature of concern.  How do they sound being chip/SOC based?  I have no GMRS equipment yet.  The lack of many advanced features isn't really bothering me as this will be only a home base or mobile radio for communication with known family/local friends in a 20 mile radius.  My main wonder is how the sound quality of these Midlands rate--the few that can do wideband (MXT400 programed and MXT575). 

Is a Wouxon KG-XS20G a better sounding radio?  I know it's lower power (and cheaper) but it should also suit me I would think given what I've read.  I hear Midland is recommended by some but others say don't bother?   Sound quality again is a big concern 2nd only to reliability.  Is a KG-1000 just that much better than either in its super-het format?  Many Thanks.

David

Richmond

Read more that I had missed earlier doing research...the MXT400 chip isnt even certified for wideband.  So whatever software they hand out in secret only upon request that's only a link for a short time sounds far too sketchy for me to deal with.  I'll pass on it unless they make a 450 ?

They make a MXT500 which is wideband.

The MXT400 (which I have owned and used) sounds fine.. The XS20G (which I have owned and used) also sounds fine.

Your ear will never hear the difference between an SOC and a SuperHet GMRS radio.. You might notice (a lot) more static/bleed over from other frequencies if driving near high-power transmitters (TV, microwave, equipment control, etc) on an SOC than a SuperHet, but that is likely the only thing you would ever notice.

If sound is your most important factor, 2nd only to reliability, then consider the KG-1000G (which I have owned several of, and used in my 2 Jeeps), which has two speakers, both loud and decent quality. 

Okay, understood.  I missed the 500 model being wideband.  I guess if $400 big ones was to be spent on anything it would go to the KG-1000 or 575 with its display in the hand-mic than the 500 that doesnt have that feature.   I picked another hobby that isn't cheap.

Has anyone actually tested one of these Midland radios after programming "wide band" with Chirp or any other software? By test, I mean looking at the deviation of the transmitter with a deviation meter and measuring receiver acceptance bandwidth.

I think that folks are being fooled by a check box in the software that does nothing.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, JLeikhim said:

I think that folks are being fooled by a check box in the software that does nothing.

And you base this on... A guess?  Anyway, you would be guessing wrong as I have tested the MXT400, MXT500, MXT275 and MXT575 on narrow/wideband. I dont have a fancy deviant meter - the difference can easily be heard with a regular human ear.

• DuncanHynes changed the title to MXT 400 Wideband