Comet Antennas CA-2X4SR and water.

kidphc

Any one else notice water pooling up on the inside of the nmo and the underside of the antenna?

Just took it off to make some changes and there was about 4-5 drops of water on the inside of the nmo and underside of the antenna's nmo fitting.

Never had this problem with my Larsen/pulse antennas, they however have a rubber ring gasket. The Comet ca-2x4 doesn't. Actually, starting to wonder if it some how made its way down the hinge.

2 hours ago, kidphc said:

Any one else notice water pooling up on the inside of the nmo and the underside of the antenna?

Just took it off to make some changes and there was about 4-5 drops of water on the inside of the nmo and underside of the antenna's nmo fitting.

Never had this problem with my Larsen/pulse antennas, they however have a rubber ring gasket. The Comet ca-2x4 doesn't. Actually, starting to wonder if it some how made its way down the hinge.

Haven't noticed with mine, but I haven't taken it apart right after rain. I'd say I'll check after the next rain, but it could be awhile here

I know I have a few rubber gaskets/rings that go on the nmo mount, though at this point I've forgotten which ones they came with. It seems the comet stuff (also have a sbb1), some of the tram, and the signal stuff use those in place of the oring in the base like Larsen do. The Browning uhf i have (1713bs) and the base loaded midlands (1/4 wave and 5/8 wave) use the oring like Larsen as well.

Haven't noticed with mine, but I haven't taken it apart right after rain. I'd say I'll check after the next rain, but it could be awhile here
I know I have a few rubber gaskets/rings that go on the nmo mount, though at this point I've forgotten which ones they came with. It seems the comet stuff (also have a sbb1), some of the tram, and the signal stuff use those in place of the oring in the base like Larsen do. The Browning uhf i have (1713bs) and the base loaded midlands (1/4 wave and 5/8 wave) use the oring like Larsen as well.
It does have a gasket but looks like water is making its way past it.f32192b5a21e46ef42831b8fc6c0e9a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how to fix that, could it be an issue with the foldover hinge not sealing?
That is what I believe. The gasket should stop it from comming up the nmo.

I did switch the lower section out for a spring. Might need to remove it and grease it up. That might atleast eliminate one possibility.

10 minutes ago, kidphc said:

I am not sure which. I believe it is comming down the center pin.

You could try using a very small dab of Vaseline on the seat area of the hinge. Recheck the match afterwards to make sure you are getting metal-to-metal contact. Any gaps in the seat area should be filed in with the Vaseline blocking any water ingress. If that works likely you need to recheck it every few months and reseal it with fresh Vaseline. I would also lube up the area where the center section slips down in to the collar with the Allen screw used for adjusting the antenna height up and down a bit.

Any reason to use this over the NMO2/7B? I'm guessing its for the foldover hinge?
Nah, not for the hinge. The Larsen is uber flexible, part of the reason it is indestructible. So never worried about it.

The Comet is way way stiffer, hence the spring. The Comet vibrates at every bump rocking the hood mount, the Larsen was laid back at speed but never rocked the hood mount.

It was mainly for a better match at GMRS frequencies. Going off of Marc's testing, hence the switch.The Larsen was about 2.5:1 across the GMRS frequencies.

Haven't put it on the nano yet to see how I fair on my installation location.