Repeater Access - Southern California

RCFlyer51

I have attempted to contact the owners of a couple repeaters listed in the directory for my area with no response.  The repeaters are:  HP Snow and VERDUGO.  I used the listed contact emails and phone numbers.

Any assistance that could be provided to get in contact with these folks would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Danny

WQUS669

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone:

I have also sent email to HP and others.  Only emailed response was from Ed G., of Crest Communications - Ed and his volunteer group are truly professional and take care of business.   No other repeater operator and / or repeater access administrator has replied to my repeater use request.  Would be excellent to have more than one repeater site at a high elevation; with plenty of backup power reserve, for use during any land based communication outage or outages - (earthquakes in the CA southland are the most common land based and wireless system(s) overload, as many folks may well know already.

I am wondering how many of the MyGMRS listed repeaters in So. Cal area are even still operational / exist?  To me, the repeater site operational costs alone, would take quite a commitment from the repeater financier.  Unless someone is generously financially supporting these repeater groups, how do they stay functional for anyone?  Possibly if there were Federal funding grants, that would be something to consider.  (Have more repeater sites REACT / emergency use, as their primary function).  Imagine today, a repeater site operator would have to incorporate better access controls, in-order to keep the frequencies "more" available for priority / urgent / emergency type of use (guessing about repeater use / traffic). Possibly even consider  secondary / stand-by / less published frequencies, (if available and not too cost prohibitive). (:-).  Enough of my wish-list wishing for this post...   Yes? 

Thanks for reading.

Best days to you all!

Hello everyone:

I have also sent email to HP and others.  Only emailed response was from Ed G., of Crest Communications - Ed and his volunteer group are truly professional and take care of business.   No other repeater operator and / or repeater access administrator has replied to my repeater use request.  Would be excellent to have more than one repeater site at a high elevation; with plenty of backup power reserve, for use during any land based communication outage or outages - (earthquakes in the CA southland are the most common land based and wireless system(s) overload, as many folks may well know already.

I am wondering how many of the MyGMRS listed repeaters in So. Cal area are even still operational / exist?  To me, the repeater site operational costs alone, would take quite a commitment from the repeater financier.  Unless someone is generously financially supporting these repeater groups, how do they stay functional for anyone?  Possibly if there were Federal funding grants, that would be something to consider.  (Have more repeater sites REACT / emergency use, as their primary function).  Imagine today, a repeater site operator would have to incorporate better access controls, in-order to keep the frequencies "more" available for priority / urgent / emergency type of use (guessing about repeater use / traffic). Possibly even consider  secondary / stand-by / less published frequencies, (if available and not too cost prohibitive). (:-).  Enough of my wish-list wishing for this post...   Yes? 

Thanks for reading.

Best days to you all!

Could be a few, could be many. One thing I've found with many people is that they all assume there is an upcost/lease fee associated with all sites. There are a lot of (good) sites out there that can be found for free. I've yet to sign a site lease yet have some of the best locations in the area. Sometimes you can wheel and deal. Sometimes you just need to get creative. For example, if you find a decent location, provide your own power (solar, wind, with backup generator) and fill out some forms, wait for approval, etc you can put up a site in National Forest. On a good peak. Doesn't take power...just need to be able to occasionally access the location.

Hello everyone:

Thanks for reading.

Best days to you all!

Hi:

I too have sent emails and snail mail to the HP repeater owner with no reply.  I can only assume he is no longer interested in maintaining the repeaters.  Certainly doesn't appear to interested in more users.  I have monitored the frequencies and have heard some traffic.  So, I do believe at least a couple of the repeaters are functional.  I checked his FCC information and it is the same as listed on the repeater directory.

Oh well. At this point there is no GMRS repeater access for the Coachella Valley, at least, none that one can gain access to.

Danny