Modulation on GMRS-9R HT is low on repeater

Newb

Question

9 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, Newb said:

Modulation on GMRS-9R HT is low on repeater but great on simplex, what am I missing?

Not necessarily enough information to go on here so...

Q1.  Is your repeater channel and simplex channel the same channel with talk around enabled or, do you have separate channels programmed, one for repeater and one for simplex?

If the latter, start by checking the bandwidth selection on the repeater channel as it may (may) be set to narrow which would cause it to sound like low modulation (because on narrow it would be lower).

You might also not want to assume the repeater is working properly and try a test on a different repeater to see if the problem persists.  Alternatively, you could listen to your HT on another radio set to monitor the input frequency/channel of the repeater.

Separate channels are programmed, 725 for the repeater and 600 for simplex.

All GMRS channels are set to WIDE, both simplex and repeater.

Can't reach another repeater, the next closest one is 50 miles away.

I was told about an hour ago on a transmission through the repeater that my Roger beep is fine, speech is low.

I have 2 of these HTs and they are both doing the same thing.

10 hours ago, Newb said:

Separate channels are programmed, 725 for the repeater and 600 for simplex.

All GMRS channels are set to WIDE, both simplex and repeater.

Can't reach another repeater, the next closest one is 50 miles away.

I was told about an hour ago on a transmission through the repeater that my Roger beep is fine, speech is low.

I have 2 of these HTs and they are both doing the same thing.

The roger beep may or may not be any indication of the problem.  That said, assuming the roger beep is set  to a normal level, the next thing you might want to look at is to see if there is a setting for microphone gain.  Not all radios have it, but many do and that could perhaps be your issue.

Still, the fact that your simplex sounds good kind of suggests the microphone gain is not low or, it could also be a perception thing and that the mod is low but on simplex it might not sound low (I'm assuming you are using your other radio to monitor simplex?).

629- Set with CHIRP and verified with key pad.

250 - No mic gain on these units.  I just got off work and am going to do more testing. I'm beginning to think the idea of repeater problem is correct. I'm going to check the repeater with the mobile and see if the better half can hear me on an HT.

629- Set with CHIRP and verified with key pad.

250 - No mic gain on these units.  I just got off work and am going to do more testing. I'm beginning to think the idea of repeater problem is correct. I'm going to check the repeater with the mobile and see if the better half can hear me on an HT.

Tried hitting the repeater from the mobile and I can hit the repeater but no modulation.  The repeater is Illinois, Lincoln 725 which I have heard for weeks but just requested and received access about a week ago.  It is a net connected repeater.  It is connected to several repeaters in Indiana.

OK, I don't know what happened but I was just mobile on Linc 725 and heard a call for a radio check.  I thought either he will hear me ,,,,or NOT!  He heard me and he was talking about the same problem as mine.  Sounds like the repeater got rebooted.  He said he checked the net link and there was a problem in Indiana also.  My better half heard the convo and said she heard the entire convo load and clear.  Makes me happy!!

Thanks to EVERYONE for the help!

Newb