Repeater issues

Guest WRTN601

Guest WRTN601

Just got my license today, but it hasn't been in long enough for mygmrs to let me make an actual account. There is a gmrs repeater not far from my house, but I'm having issues connecting to it. I've watched tons of videos and looked into it a lot and can't find where I'm going wrong. The only issue that I've found that it could be is the tone. Instead of it being on the format of 147.3 hz, it's D155. From what I've seen it's a DCS code instead of a CTCS code. I've put it in, but still can connect. Any help with this issue would be appreciated. 

Can you identify the repeater (so that others might look it up)?

What radio are you using? If you /disable/ all tone squelch and just monitor, do you hear any traffic on the repeater? Are you using a duplex channel, or might you be on a simplex channel (Personally, I abhor that, with the FRS/GMRS merged channel list, many makers have made duplex mode "channels 23-30" rather than the industry (part 90, part 97, probably part 80) standard of toggling repeater offset ON/OFF in a single "channel" designation (DMR and similar refer to it as "talk-around" when turning OFF the repeater offset)).

Guest WRTN601
52 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

Can you identify the repeater (so that others might look it up)?

What radio are you using? If you /disable/ all tone squelch and just monitor, do you hear any traffic on the repeater? Are you using a duplex channel, or might you be on a simplex channel (Personally, I abhor that, with the FRS/GMRS merged channel list, many makers have made duplex mode "channels 23-30" rather than the industry (part 90, part 97, probably part 80) standard of toggling repeater offset ON/OFF in a single "channel" designation (DMR and similar refer to it as "talk-around" when turning OFF the repeater offset)).

I'm going to try to answer your questions the best I can, but I've just recently got into this so bare with me. The repeater name is "Palisades Park Oneonta, AL" If you need more information on that let me know. Currently I'm using a Boafeng UV-5R (I know, it's a ham radio. But I've picked up plenty of people on gmrs channels with it before) with a UV-9G on the way. I have heard traffic on this repeater before, but haven't heard any as of today when I've finally got my license and tried to talk on it. From there you kinda lost me on your other questions. If you need more information on my side let me know. Really looking forward to getting into GMRS. 

Guest WRTN601

Thanks everyone for the help. I drove out to the repeater today to make sure I was close enough to be hitting in. Even with me sitting a mile off the mountain from it, I still wasn't connecting. I had the wrong frequency in the whole time. But I'm up and running now. Thanks for the help. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, WRTI805 said:

I'm having the exact same issue in Houston.  Repeater frequency is 462.550 and using the DPL code provided by the repeater.  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

According to MyGMRS, there are no repeaters near you that use a DPL unless the one closed repeater does.

When it comes to those tones, you have CTCSS (PL) or you have DCS (DPL) tones. CTCSS (PL) are analog tones that are most commonly used. DCS (DPL) are digital tones.

CTCSS (PL) tones run generally from 67.0hz to 254hz. On some radios, they do have a code system(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_Tone-Coded_Squelch_System) associated with them that do NOT have anything to do with DCS (DPL) tones. 

DCS (DPL) tones run from 023 to 754 and have an 'I' or 'N' after the number sometimes (i.e. - 023I or 023N). When programming the tone, most commonly, you would just use the numbers followed by 'N' (i.e. - 023N) https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/DCS 

Many people get these tone numbers confused. Once you have played around with radio for awhile, you will get used to it and understand it. 

14 hours ago, WRTI805 said:

I'm having the exact same issue in Houston.  Repeater frequency is 462.550 and using the DPL code provided by the repeater.  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

What radio are you using?

The only 550 repeater that I know of in Houston that is online and not stale, is Memorial Park.  It uses a DPL.  Join/Log into TexasGMRS.net (it's free) to find the correct DPL (don't reveal tones in open forums like this that can be viewed by the general public, because unlicensed trolls can find them and abuse the repeater).  Set your transmit DPL to the correct tone you previously found.  Note the "N" or "I", for Normal or Inverted.  If not specifically stated, the tone should be Normal.

The Memorial Park repeater has great range, but still make sure you are close enough to it (drive to within 5 miles for an initial test if possible).  Beware that currently this repeater is experiencing some technical problems (like timing out to soon), but it still does work, as people still do use it.

If all else fails, PM/DM me and I will help.  I live in the Houston metro area and use the Memorial Park repeater occasionally.  Note also that there are other linked repeaters in Houston that you might be able to use, depending on where you are in and around Houston.

Good luck.

Edited by Citizen
Added and clarified some stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

make sure your radio is in repeater mode, not simplex mode.  Your transmit will be on 467.xxxmhz while the receive will be on 462.xxxmhz, that and the DPL tone should get you on the repeater.  don't forget to get permission from the owner/operator of the repeater.

hope that helps.