GM30 GMRS radio transmission problem

WRTH755

I can hear people here and there clear.  No one can seem to hear me.  Exception.  One time, on the 4th of July, I was in deep woods low in a valley, I spoke to some admin and more people.  The admin was over 75 miles away.  None of this makes sense.  I never spoke to another person again as no one can hear me.  I can't even tune both radios to the same channel and hear each other.  What is wrong and where can I learn about this?  Thank you.

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2022 at 10:22 AM, WRTH755 said:

I can hear people here and there clear.  No one can seem to hear me.  Exception.  One time, on the 4th of July, I was in deep woods low in a valley, I spoke to some admin and more people.  The admin was over 75 miles away.  None of this makes sense.  I never spoke to another person again as no one can hear me.  I can't even tune both radios to the same channel and hear each other.  What is wrong and where can I learn about this?  Thank you.

I've run into this problem when I first started out. I was trying to talk on the local repeater, but I was on the Simplex channels, 1-22. The repeater channels are already set for the "offset", too technical for me on that one, BUT once I figured that out, and found the right "tone codes" I was able to join in on the conversations. Just depends really on what channel you're talking on/right codes programmed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same issue. However being new I am learning! My issue is simply a not so good antenna in an area where I need all the help I can get. I can hit the repeater, but people can't hear me all the time. Then it is sketchy at best. Running a N9TAX antenna now. SWR is good for MURS and GMRS. However the repeater at 467.550 SWR shoots to over 2 and power is cut way down. Have a new antenna that will have 5.5db gain on the GMRS frequencies and setting it up another 15 feet. That should help a lot. The times I did talk, I am pretty sure the weather had something to do with it. After talking about 5 minutes, I was told the signal was starting to fade in and out. Living in Northeastern LaGrange County in Indiana (Shipshewana), I am using the Elkhart repeater. So far about 20/ 80%. 20% hit. Tried to check in to the net yesterday. Net control saw I was hitting the repeater, but could not hear me. My thanks to Net control for still checking me in. Everyone on GMRS is so understanding and is much appreciated! So any way, for what its worth, Make sure you have a good antenna at the needed height. Maybe that could be it. Sometimes the simplest thing is the answer. God Bless.

No my friend, I was speaking in general about the antenna setup possibly being an issue. I run a cheap china radio. Didn't want to spend too much at first due to limited income. Couldn't tell you about the radio part. Please accept my apology  for not being clearer. I am new at this also. Just had the same type of problem but mine is able to be remedied by another antenna relocated higher. So just tossed it out there for what it might be worth when it comes to erratic performance. God Bless 

No, on the contrary, if you can have fun on MURS in VHF and FRS in UHF unlicensed with a cheap Chinese radio; all the more to you!

I purchased the clone of the GM-30, the Pofung 15UV, but I was unable to open it up for Ham use, so I gave it to my grandson.

I purchased instead the similar TYT-UV88 Ham Radio and opened it up to GMRS and MURS.