RFI on 146.730 only

mainehazmt

New dilemma.  Moved my vertex vx3200 from one side of the garage to my "radio room"  about 4 ft away had to re route the coax thru  the wall   was just layed across the ceiling before   Now I have interferiance (constant breaking of squelch)   The antenna is fine  SWR of 1.2   coax  is good and tight all 2 connections and dry.  changed radio  the same.  results.  changed antenna  the same.   unplugged everything  no change  and it is only on 146.730    no squelch adjustment  unless you go in to alignment  and I dont have those tools  yet  or the skills    Harmonics somewhere???   everything going thru the repeater is fine  transmit reports good...then someone else is transmitting I recieve them fine  Im at a loss

John

John - 146.30 MAY be receiving a harmonic from a wireless router... yours or a neighbor.  I have a NetGear system in my office and used a scanner in search mode and found MANY hits between 40 and 900 Mhz. I disabled the router and no more 'birdies'.   Laptops and tablets operate on the same base frequency, so it could be related to one of those devices as well that might be closer to your coax or radios.   Just one possibility for you to investigate.

No it is an open repeater. No pl. but!!! Problem solved!! Grounding issue. Installed a Lightning arrestor on the base of the antenna connected it to the ground wire and problem solved. Apparently the arm off the antenna pole for the repeater had rusted or something and the ground was poor for the vhf antenna. Fixed for now. But going to change it all around anyway when I put the tower up. Seem to keep putting off digging the hole for the concrete and mount.

You mentioned the router.. Well I ran (hobbled actually) with my portable freq counter. And was surprised at all the emissions around. About 276.xxx - 290.xxx Surprising the rfi emission pollution. But what do you expect with wireless phones remote controls cell phones and anything looking for wifi.

I was gonna suggest, sometimes PL tones close to multiples of 60 Hz (118.8 for example) can bleed AC line noise through. Can't have a coordinated amateur repeater (very few exceptions) in Texas that doesn't have a PL on the receiver so we just run PL's on pretty much everything.