GMRS-50X1 Display

WRPM606

Question

4 answers to this question

Nothing in the manual... You may just have to look for the highest contrast background/foreground color pairs that can be set to the fields.

At least it's an LCD... My Icom ID-5100 appears to have pressure sensitive (ie: it does not use I/R emitters/receivers on the sides of the screen to detect "touch") layer on an e-Ink display (black/white). Even on high brightness it disappears under polarized sunglass (which is not helped in that my prescription when driving is the DISTANCE on, I'd need to put on my computer prescription (fingertip just touches monitor when arm stretched forward) to actually read some of the markings.

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

Nothing in the manual... You may just have to look for the highest contrast background/foreground color pairs that can be set to the fields.

At least it's an LCD... My Icom ID-5100 appears to have pressure sensitive (ie: it does not use I/R emitters/receivers on the sides of the screen to detect "touch") layer on an e-Ink display (black/white). Even on high brightness it disappears under polarized sunglass (which is not helped in that my prescription when driving is the DISTANCE on, I'd need to put on my computer prescription (fingertip just touches monitor when arm stretched forward) to actually read some of the markings.

Lol!  Had to chuckle over that one..  Yes, Me too!   The 5100 display drove me nuts when I mounted it in my vehicle.  Exceptional radio except for the screen and the mic connector location.. 

3 hours ago, aa7jc said:

Lol!  Had to chuckle over that one..  Yes, Me too!   The 5100 display drove me nuts when I mounted it in my vehicle.  Exceptional radio except for the screen and the mic connector location.. 

You don't want to see the cable runs I used... really, a 9+ft power lead, with an 11+ft control head cable. What are you expected to do -- mount the control head as a hood ornament? I had to splice another 9 or so feet into the power lead to make it reach from the Liberty under-cargo bed storage box to the battery, the control head cable just made it. I had to obtain a microphone extension cable (I didn't trust the cable I made from UTP phone line and RJ-11 (or was it RJ-45... think it was RJ-11 6 conductor). Also had to track down a headphone extension cable for the remote/external speaker (mounted behind the arm-rest/console). I didn't save the phone images of the cable runs -- 3/4inch split plastic flex conduit from main box, along cargo bed, forced down in the gap of the folding rear seat, along the door trim, to just under the hood release -- with cable clamps screwed in at intervals. Smaller conduit from battery to firewall (at least I found an unused rubber plug passthrough -- cut X in plug, push power lead through it. Cables for the mag-mount GMRS and CB antennas are on passenger side with 1/2 conduit.

20220722_174835.thumb.jpg.3881c0fe540ba5f103f51d2d66278255.jpg

The 5100 microphone mount is almost visible. Just at the bottom of the photo -- the black bit on light grey next to steering wheel.