HELP NEEDED

WRPS483

14 minutes ago, WRPS483 said:

I would like to know if there are any groups in the Central Florida area that can help me program my hand held set? I am very new to GMRS. Any ideas?

What make/model? You might find someone on this system that can guide you through the programming software (you aren't trying to do major programming from the front panel, are you?).

For the most part*, GMRS radios are already set with all channels configured for no CTCSS/DCS tones, and since the interstitials (in the current standard nomenclature, these are "1"-"7" (FM, 5W ERP limit), "8"-"14" (NFM, 0.5W ERP limit), are simplex only, the only reason to set a CTCSS/DCS code on those is if your group wants to ensure they are not annoyed by kids using bubble pack FRS radios. GMRS main channels ("15"-"22" FM 50W output [not ERP] limit) simplex may also fall into that group, though you may get repeater traffic as the repeater output is the same frequency. Repeater channels ("23"-"30" or some variant of "Rp15"-"Rp22") most likely will need a CTCSS or DCS tone set to open the repeater, and usually will send the same tone back.

If you have a radio that supports programming additional channels you are still limited to the same 22 frequencies, but can configure multiple repeaters that may share frequency but have different tones for access -- rather than carrying a note card around and front-panel programming to change tones as you want to change repeater.

* there is at least one manufacturer that preloads all channels with essentially random selection of CTCSS or DCS tones; if one doesn't clear out those tones one is practically limited to only contacting another radio from that manufacturer ?

4 hours ago, WRPS483 said:

It's a cheaper radio Tidradio GM-5R..... just wanted to get started with adding repeaters. This is my entry into GMRS. I thank you for your reply and knowledge.

Unfortunately, while CHIRP has entries for TID and TIDRADIO, neither offers up the GM-5R as an option.

The radio does support (if I read the adverts) available channels so you don't have to customize the core 30 (unless you really want to). Use the programming cable and the company programmer to make things easy. I suggest the first step would be to /download/ the radio configuration and save it as "factory.<whatever>", just so you can restore a fresh situation without having to invoke a front-panel RESET ALL. Save modified configurations under informative names (or by date modified: yyyymmdd so it sorts nicely).

Most programmers will present either frequency and none|+|- (though GMRS repeaters are always +) and a shift/offset (5MHz for GMRS) OR may have columns for Rx frequency AND Tx frequency, along with a choice of TONE (send only) or TSQL|CTCSS (radio sends the tone, and expects the repeater to also send the tone -- so radio stays quiet unless the tone is detected). Oh, DTC is also an option for tone.

CHIRP with Retevis RA85 setup.

image.thumb.png.3ca6c6553c04f0dc17aa1007e1d06dbc.png

{Note: I renamed some of the standard channels with some ancient "recommended usages" -- 462.675/467.675 used to be an FCC decreed emergency/traveller assistance channel. The "Line A" entries are the frequencies that can not be used near the Canadian border [unfortunately, Line A basically comes right down the middle of Michigan, so anything east of, and maybe including, Lansing can not use those channels].}

As you can see, CHIRP is one of those with Rx frequency, offset direction, offset shift. Actual Retevis programmer (I had problems with the RA-85 software, they provided a link to the RA-685 software, which is really a dual-band Amateur version, but the software does seem to work -- and also "unlocked" even more channels: the RA-85 is billed as 60 channels -- 30 basic, and 30 available [though Retevis populates all with random tone settings], the RA-685 software goes to 128 channels and in testing, they work on the radio [I put the 16 "channels" of the RT97 repeater, as I configured it, into channels 113-128].

image.thumb.png.c4bc8aae20d54c560e1d7cec16e4808c.png

As you can see, this is software that expects Rx and Tx frequencies, Rx/TX tones [QT is CTCSS, DQT is DCS]. (Oh, and that software is nasty -- one can not resize the windows, so unless one runs in full screen mode, buttons and stuff gets cut off.)

This gives you two different styles of specifying the same repeaters. Take what you know of your desired repeaters, and use your software to set up something similar.

16 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Unfortunately, while CHIRP has entries for TID and TIDRADIO, neither offers up the GM-5R as an option.

They will need to select "Radioddity UV-5g" for it to work in chrip.

These are basically just rebranded Baofeng Uv-5Rs designed for GMRS so in theory any of the guides or videos you can find online on how to manually program the UV-5R should work on these radios as well.