Maybe this is a dumb question

wrodina

...does the FCC send GMRS licenses in the mail? I completed the application a couple weeks ago but haven't seen anything yet. I did get the "Reference Copy" from the ULS site and I know it's active, but just wondering if there will be a paper copy sent to my address.

I kind of expected one since the reference copy says it's technically not a license, but then I also read where they stopped mailing out paper copies of ham tickets a couple years ago so maybe GMRS is in the same boat.

Not a huge deal either way, just curious as to whether I should keep looking in the mailbox for it every day. :)

William - We have had reports in recent years from family members, friends and colleagues all over the US, that postal mail service is not what it used to be - even 5 years ago. Give it another couple of days and then request a duplicate. You can also CALL the Gettysburg, PA office and explain that you never received the original by mail. Perhaps one of the customer service staff members can look into it for you and possibly issue a manually generated copy.

This may be of help:  https://www.fcc.gov/help/requesting-duplicate-license-universal-licensing-system-uls

Contact Info:

Federal Communications Commission
1270 Fairfield Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245
Telephone: (717) 338-2666
Fax: (717) 338-2696

Honestly I don't mind the wait... I have the callsign so I'm not really on pins & needles before I can transmit. (I remember the "good old days" when I got my ham ticket... the 6 weeks or whatever before I first got my call in the mail was agonizing.)

I like having the "official" copies but I certainly won't lose any sleep if not. Just curious as to whether they still used snail mail or have gone all digital. Thanks to all!

• 2 weeks later...

So to follow up, it appears as though there is a global "Do you want the FCC to mail paper copies of your licenses" setting in the ULS, for which I had previously indicated that I did not want to receive hard copies. They did provide a link to download the "official" PDF versions though, so I'm good to go. :)

Thanks for the responses again!