Help Adding Repeater to Handheld

WRTM842

Got my GMRS license about a month ago and also got my approval for a couple of repeaters. I am trying to set them up on my little handheld radio. I know the repeaters have a Input/Output tone frequency which I have, but the radio doesn't have a setting in Chirp that says input/output tone. What else could that setting be called?

Typically one has a choice of only sending the tone needed by the repeater, or of also requiring the repeater to send a tone back to you.

TONE (CT on some radios) is sending only to the repeater.

ToneSql (TSQL, CTCSS) is sending the tone to the repeater AND requiring the repeater to be sending a tone back to you -- otherwise your end won't open squelch, and you will not hear the repeater. Since most GMRS repeaters I've seen listed are sending a tone, TSQL is usually a safe selection.

DTCS doesn't use a "tone" per se, but encodes a numeric value into whatever tones it sends. Except in some rare "cross mode" instances, you will either be using "tone/TSQL" OR "DTCS/Rx DTCS"

image.thumb.png.b6953b718b91875ba420d12fca4aedb0.png