Smiley antenna adapter on Kg935g

syntaxerror

Question

Hey folks. 
I have a Smiley Mini Rubber Duck 465MHz GMRS SMA-M Antenna and as some of you more astute amongst you will notice, the Kg935g takes an SMA-F antenna. My question is I have a couple of these connectors that will allow me to attach the antenna to my HT until the replacement adapter (I ordered the SMA-F version adapter for this antenna) arrives in the mail. But before I make any real atempt to transmit using this little setup I would like to know if it would in fact be safe to do so without potential issues or worse to the HT. I’ve included some photos of the adapters as well as them attached to the said antenna along with a link to the ones I purchased on Amazon. Any insight from those of you with with much more experience and or testing equipment would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, WRTZ217 

F Type to SMA Male Female Coax... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D28P28J?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

259767CD-E4B9-45A2-A2BF-D15D747668F9.jpeg

F2525C43-ECB7-4258-BC35-51C65D2738C9.jpeg

DCA9CBA7-03EA-4EC7-BD80-74D116A4214D.jpeg

8E4AC9CC-7F67-43F4-A8E4-A61DBE8E0953.jpeg

5 answers to this question

It's not ideal, and you will likely loose some TX power due to a higher SWR than normal, but it wont cause any harm - however beware of the "experts" that will leave a 10-paragraph long response telling you that it will cause damage to the radio.  To them, I say, just watch this video about the KG-935G to see that a little high SWR wont hurt it  -> https://youtu.be/yrLB7augoQU

I'd be more concerned about having a stack of adapters as long (and as bulky) as the apparently highly rigid antenna itself presenting a risk of physical damage. Most rubber ducks at least have some give when something hits them on the side.

That stack (which appears to be SMA->TNC, TNC->SMA) looks to have left a large torque point on the radio's SMA connector; nothing braces the bottom of the stack against the body of the radio (in my experience most SMA rubber ducks make contact with the retaining ring of the SMA connector, or provide a washer/o-ring to fill any gap).

But then, I also still own HTs that use BNC connectors for the antenna... (RatShack and Midland CB; Maxon GMRS-210+3, RatShack (Maxon) HT-202, Pryme PR-52 -- the only one still on the market, to my knowledge, is the Midland)

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

It's not ideal, and you will likely loose some TX power due to a higher SWR than normal, but it wont cause any harm - however beware of the "experts" that will leave a 10-paragraph long response telling you that it will cause damage to the radio.  To them, I say, just watch this video about the KG-935G to see that a little high SWR wont hurt it  -> https://youtu.be/yrLB7augoQU

LOL, yeah. 
we’ll like I said… I don’t think it’s ideal and I really wasn’t hyped on using it this way. I was just curious and bored with maybe a little too much free time and spare change in the old dust account so I thought “hey what the heck, while I wait for the ACTUAL adapter to come from BSR I could just see if this little setup would work in theory”. Admittedly NOT pretty, and definitely not the safest as far as how rigid the damned thing would be with all those adapters stuck to the bottom of the antenna. I did give it a couple PTTs and was able to transmit/receive seemingly without issues. Alas I think I will be waiting for the adapter made for this little antenna to finally arrive before I do anymore serious surfing on the airwaves with this thing LOL.