How many people had to use their radio equipment for emergency commuications during hurricane Ian?

Lscott

Snarky answer is "yes"....as members of my former employer, that responds to hurricanes, floods, and oil spills needed a distant end to test their equipment. I spent some time on a Kenwood FT-920 HF transceiver, 500 Watt amp and beam antenna acting as their distant end. They were using WSPR to check HF propagation, some were located in Florida, while others were in the surrounding area. 

Most took satcom gear, but one did take his portable GMRS radio and hotspot, setting up in the hotel as he made his way from Houston Texas, to Miami, Florida. It was through him that I found out that a former co-worker of ours working out of Miami had quit a week earlier, leaving that site without a radio technician. 

I have lived in south Louisiana for all of my adult life and have been through multiple hurricanes.  I can attest that i would have used the GMRS radios in the past if I would have had them.  Maybe not just for emergency but for plain Jane communications.  Go a couple weeks with no cell,electricity, or water.  Hell 1 day with no running water sucks :].  I had my own supplies to get through it while working but the radios (GMRS) would have helped me out greatly just on the basic communications for family,friends & work.  Cell service does not got down often for very long but it does happen.  I would say I can remember 3-4 times for 1-2 weeks approx no service over 30-35 years of hurricanes.  They usually bring in mobile stuff but the lines are usually clogged and its very hit or miss getting calls through or received.  Idah kicked our butts last year so its a fresh memory.